The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

UCL computer Science STAT admission Test

Hi,

I want to know more about the STAT admission test and how to prepare for it? What is a good mark/pass mark? How to do well on the English essay part? When to apply for it?

Thanks for the help
There was no English Essay. It was half verbal reasoning and half quantitative reasoning. Its all MP. Its worth doing the practice paper. The verbal reasoning is quite tricky as its some hard english texts to comprehend. The quantitative reasoning was fine If you do lots of problem solving challenges already. Scores are given as a percentile. The lowest I've seen with an offer is like 80th percentile. Get your predicted up as much as possible and good luck. I'm not sure they have actually said that its going to be used for 2025. We were all told pretty last minute. You will receive very clear instructions about applying so don't worry.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by HarisAhmed3124
There was no English Essay. It was half verbal reasoning and half quantitative reasoning. Its all MP. Its worth doing the practice paper. The verbal reasoning is quite tricky as its some hard english texts to comprehend. The quantitative reasoning was fine If you do lots of problem solving challenges already. Scores are given as a percentile. The lowest I've seen with an offer is like 80th percentile. Get your predicted up as much as possible and good luck. I'm not sure they have actually said that its going to be used for 2025. We were all told pretty last minute. You will receive very clear instructions about applying so don't worry.

Thanks,

Do you think A*A*AA+A in EPQ is good enough for an offer. Also what does MP mean sry.
I had those exact grades and didn't get an offer. I didn't think I needed my predicted to be any higher but for computing GET THEM AS HIGH AS YOU PHYSICALLY CAN. For Durham this year they only considered A*A*A*+ and I was rejected for this reason, despite what they said on their website. I meant Multiple Choice^.
Reply 4
Original post by HarisAhmed3124
I had those exact grades and didn't get an offer. I didn't think I needed my predicted to be any higher but for computing GET THEM AS HIGH AS YOU PHYSICALLY CAN. For Durham this year they only considered A*A*A*+ and I was rejected for this reason, despite what they said on their website. I meant Multiple Choice^.

Thanks man, I have few more Q if that's okay,

Do you think its worth applying to imperial/Cambridge/Warwick with these grades. Also, I think if I try I can get my predicted grades to A*A*A*A+A if I do well in my mocks. And I've started revision for TMUA already so if I get like 6.5-7.5 do you think I have the chances now. Tks again.
Original post by Chrono147
Thanks man, I have few more Q if that's okay,
Do you think its worth applying to imperial/Cambridge/Warwick with these grades. Also, I think if I try I can get my predicted grades to A*A*A*A+A if I do well in my mocks. And I've started revision for TMUA already so if I get like 6.5-7.5 do you think I have the chances now. Tks again.

TMUA once you do all the past papers I think you seem smart enough to land a solid grade, but its tough work. I originally applied to Cambridge and revised TMUA but due to an error with my school the didn't sign me up for the test in time. I'm not sure about Warwick, but I will say that computing is THE MOST COMPETITIVE course at Cambridge and Imperial, and you don't have wiggle room to mess up your application. As long as you are confident that you can get into one University that your happy with, then feel free to apply to aspirational courses, but it is difficult so you really have to think whether you are the best of the best.

Quick Reply