The Student Room Group

graduating - council tax

So my course ends on May 15th which i believe is when i stop being a student (as do all my housemates). my tenancy in my student house ends in july and we’ve never been responsible for council tax as we are exempt. how does this usually happen? is my landlord responsible for paying or are we? (from may- 1st of july of course)

also, i will be moving house out around July but the flat I am looking at has a tenancy start date of late August. This would mean I would have to move home for a month and a half or sleep at a friends house temporarily (as i have a full time job). do i have to pay council tax at these properties? i’m very confused as i’m sure it’d be paid by the existing household i’d be temporarily at but i’m not sure if the council would track me specifically down and ask me where i’m staying and ask me to contribute. my parents rent so i would not be a named tenant, i’d just be bunking with them for a bit until i could move into my new place.

there’s not much online that answers these questions but to put it clearly: do councils attempt to track you down to see where you are staying? I feel like they’d notice i’d gone M.I.A and attempt to contact me about that 6 week period where i’m not on a named tenancy. if anyone knows anything about this please let me know!
Reply 1
Original post by lilys123
So my course ends on May 15th which i believe is when i stop being a student (as do all my housemates). my tenancy in my student house ends in july and we’ve never been responsible for council tax as we are exempt. how does this usually happen? is my landlord responsible for paying or are we? (from may- 1st of july of course)
also, i will be moving house out around July but the flat I am looking at has a tenancy start date of late August. This would mean I would have to move home for a month and a half or sleep at a friends house temporarily (as i have a full time job). do i have to pay council tax at these properties? i’m very confused as i’m sure it’d be paid by the existing household i’d be temporarily at but i’m not sure if the council would track me specifically down and ask me where i’m staying and ask me to contribute. my parents rent so i would not be a named tenant, i’d just be bunking with them for a bit until i could move into my new place.
there’s not much online that answers these questions but to put it clearly: do councils attempt to track you down to see where you are staying? I feel like they’d notice i’d gone M.I.A and attempt to contact me about that 6 week period where i’m not on a named tenancy. if anyone knows anything about this please let me know!

They won't track you but when you get the new tenancy and presumably a job you would be well advised to start paying it then if not included in bills.If you are staying with parents they will already be paying full council tax anyway so you are covered.

Quick Reply