The Student Room Group

Unpaid uni fees?

In 2023 I got my admission to an uni but after 2 months without attending a single lecture or even coming the uni I withdrew and they did not ask me for fees I also didn’t sign a contract I was not even a formal student as I didn’t have a I’d card therefore if I don’t pay what will happens?
Original post by durgesh19_8
In 2023 I got my admission to an uni but after 2 months without attending a single lecture or even coming the uni I withdrew and they did not ask me for fees I also didn’t sign a contract I was not even a formal student as I didn’t have a I’d card therefore if I don’t pay what will happens?

It's not clear from your post - have you been billed for tuition fees? Are you a home student? Did you complete registration or enrolment before the start of your course?
Reply 2
No I did not complete registration and I am international but I have in UK since year 10 and I got a notice of unpaid tuition fees
No I did not complete registration and I am international but I have in UK since year 10 and I got a notice of unpaid tuition fees

A lot of unis ask international students to make an advance payment when you accept your offer. Check your email correspondence from the time you accepted your offer to see the terms and conditions you will have agreed to. Which uni is it?
Reply 4
Northumbria university
Reply 5
Original post by normaw
A lot of unis ask international students to make an advance payment when you accept your offer. Check your email correspondence from the time you accepted your offer to see the terms and conditions you will have agreed to. Which uni is it?

It was foundation course and I did not sign a contract for payment
Northumbria university

According to Northumbria's website you should have received terms and conditions with your offer and will have been required to pay 50% of your fees up front:

As per the Terms and Conditions of Offer, you are required to fulfil 50% of your tuition fee payment on or before the university enrolment. This includes the minimum deposit payments already made (i.e. your £5,500 deposit) and any other payment. If you haven’t paid the 50% of your tuition fee, you will be required to do so during the university enrolment.

Source: https://www.northumbria.ac.uk/study-at-northumbria/fees-funding/international-fees-funding/international-money-matters

Depending on when you formally withdrew, you fee liability is as follows:

Fee Liability for International and EU students with 'Overseas' Fee Status
All International and EU students who cease or pause their programme of study* at Northumbria University, will be liable to pay tuition fees depending on when you pause or cease your programme:

[*]If you withdraw between four weeks after the start date of your programme and the end of your first term a minimum of 50% of your tuition fees for the academic year are payable by you.
[*]If you withdraw after the end of your first term, the full fees for the academic year are due.

Source: https://www.northumbria.ac.uk/study-at-northumbria/fees-funding/money-matters/fee-liability/
Reply 7
Original post by normaw
According to Northumbria's website you should have received terms and conditions with your offer and will have been required to pay 50% of your fees up front:
As per the Terms and Conditions of Offer, you are required to fulfil 50% of your tuition fee payment on or before the university enrolment. This includes the minimum deposit payments already made (i.e. your £5,500 deposit) and any other payment. If you haven’t paid the 50% of your tuition fee, you will be required to do so during the university enrolment.
Source: https://www.northumbria.ac.uk/study-at-northumbria/fees-funding/international-fees-funding/international-money-matters
Depending on when you formally withdrew, you fee liability is as follows:
Fee Liability for International and EU students with 'Overseas' Fee Status
All International and EU students who cease or pause their programme of study* at Northumbria University, will be liable to pay tuition fees depending on when you pause or cease your programme:
[*]If you withdraw between four weeks after the start date of your programme and the end of your first term a minimum of 50% of your tuition fees for the academic year are payable by you.
[*]If you withdraw after the end of your first term, the full fees for the academic year are due.
Source: https://www.northumbria.ac.uk/study-at-northumbria/fees-funding/money-matters/fee-liability/

But if you don't pay them will they take me to court or do anything to me
Reply 8
And also are there any legal problems for me
But if you don't pay them will they take me to court or do anything to me

They might use the services of a debt collection agency and/or take you to court to recover the fees. If it goes to court, you could also be liable for any expenses the uni has incurred recovering the fees. Contact the uni and see if you can arrange a repayment plan.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending