The Student Room Group

emmanuella's study discussions #3: beating procrastination

Hello everyone,
Welcome to the third thread from emmanuella's Study Discussions, led by @emm4nuella! In these threads, we will be talking and discussing all things to do with studying and revision! Today's thread is all about beating procrastination!

We all procrastinate every now and again (I have to admit it!), and I want to know your best pieces of advice for getting rid of the enemy!! Explain in as much or as little detail as you want :smile:!
Anyone and everyone can get involved! Looking forward to reading your answers :biggrin:!

GET INVOLVED WITH OTHER DISCUSSIONS :biggrin:: emmanuella's study discussions master thread :smile: - The Student Room
(edited 2 weeks ago)
grow your graders, looking forward to reading your answers below!! :biggrin:

Spoiler

Reply 2
procrastination is annoying as hell
but on the days where I find I can't beat it I tend to just watch video essays related to the subject I'm trying to study--there's a goldmine on YouTube of them and it does help me remember some aspects of the course in the long run!
I find forcing myself to do revision is the best thing I can do, even if I don't want to because I know will regret it later
Reply 4
hiya :smile:

i'm definitely a victim of procrastination haha, firstly i find that planning out a revision timetable is rlly hard so i try to give myself as much 'freedom' as i can > so doing one subject and working through whatever topic i feel most drawn to on the day, but trying to keep within the content of one paper, so like for physics if i'm revising paper 1 i have the freedom of doing either newtonian world/astrophysics or something in waves/electricity but it's still effective and useful.

when i first notice i try to procrastinate my go-to preventative is putting on music but not by my phone cause i'm more likely to reach for it and get distracted, so my go to right now is my vinyl player cause i can't really "skip" the songs, but otherwise i use a speaker ( so i can change the music without using my phone ). although that doesn't always cut it so i sometimes use my phone to film a timelapse of myself working cause it's using my phone so i can't just grab it + it's really cool seeing how 3 hours of working turns into a few mins of video.

also another thing i implement into my work is having snacks/drinks by me when i'm working > enough to get me through at least a few hours worth of revision. i find that when i procrastinate a lot of it is "oh i haven't eaten yet" then just back to "i'm hungry so i can't work now" so having a lil stash in my room is a life saver - just make sure it's varied a bit of savoury, sweet, fizzy drinks, tea, water, anything you could think of that you want + some kind of electrolytes/glucose drinks to keep energy up too :smile:, actually speaking of i need to get a supply of different snacks/drinks for study leave when alevels start. although i think it's tempting to procrastinate still, it's definitely better having things at reach so i can still watch a revision video on a topic whilst i have a snack. and having mints/sweets i can pop in my mouth whilst working instead of completely stopping. also from a sensory aspect it's helpful cause if you working and get bored having a lil bit of a fun sensory food/drink helps a lott (personally i LOVE sour sweets/carbonated drinks)

so far ding this has SAVED ME, kid u not i've done about 5/6 hours of solid work this week, not including having mocks and homework also :smile:
When I really don't want to study and I've imagine myself studying and go *ughh*, the thought of "oh, I can listen to some music while studying" somehow makes it easier for me to think about studying => I go put some music on and go study, sure i've heard music doesn't help you study and it distracts you, but it's either that or I don't study that day soo🤷*♀️
Reply 6
I sometimes tell myself that I will fail if I don't do this,which doesn't sound very motivational, but it helps as the harshness snaps me out of procrastinating sometimes- or I give myself a reward after, e.g. video games
Reply 7
Original post by emm4nuella
Hello everyone,
Welcome to the third thread from emmanuella's Study Discussions, led by @emm4nuella! In these threads, we will be talking and discussing all things to do with studying and revision, especially as exam season is looming! Today's thread is all about beating procrastination!
We all procrastinate every now and again (I have to admit it!), and I want to know your best pieces of advice for getting rid of the enemy!! Explain in as much or as little detail as you want :smile:!
Anyone and everyone can get involved! Looking forward to reading your answers :biggrin:!
GET INVOLVED WITH OTHER DISCUSSIONS :biggrin:: emmanuella's study discussions master thread :smile: - The Student Room
you have been on fire with the forums lately!! i love it sm

i love to watch those study-aesthetic-pinterest board esque study channels on youtube, they motivate me a lot. i also like drinking coffee/tea whilst i work, and i love working with piano music. i think my key to beating procrastination is to make myself feel as comfortable as possible whilst i work.

however, the main MAIN thing is limit my phone usage until i've done a few hours of work. if i wake up and i'm scrolling on my bed for an hour, i've filled up my brain with dopamine. now it has this need for short term gratification that revising 2 hours of hard physics is not going to provide. like scientifically, your brain is literally not going to switch back on. don't use your phone/doomscroll when you wake up!! it literally messes up your whole day.

it's also a matter of discipline! remember your goals and realise that the studying is going to pay off (my biggest motivator rn is going to my firm in october and the 4 month summer in between!!)
Reply 8
Original post by MP_25
i'm definitely a victim of procrastination haha, firstly i find that planning out a revision timetable is rlly hard so i try to give myself as much 'freedom' as i can > so doing one subject and working through whatever topic i feel most drawn to on the day, but trying to keep within the content of one paper, so like for physics if i'm revising paper 1 i have the freedom of doing either newtonian world/astrophysics or something in waves/electricity but it's still effective and useful.
when i first notice i try to procrastinate my go-to preventative is putting on music but not by my phone cause i'm more likely to reach for it and get distracted, so my go to right now is my vinyl player cause i can't really "skip" the songs, but otherwise i use a speaker ( so i can change the music without using my phone ). although that doesn't always cut it so i sometimes use my phone to film a timelapse of myself working cause it's using my phone so i can't just grab it + it's really cool seeing how 3 hours of working turns into a few mins of video.
also another thing i implement into my work is having snacks/drinks by me when i'm working > enough to get me through at least a few hours worth of revision. i find that when i procrastinate a lot of it is "oh i haven't eaten yet" then just back to "i'm hungry so i can't work now" so having a lil stash in my room is a life saver - just make sure it's varied a bit of savoury, sweet, fizzy drinks, tea, water, anything you could think of that you want + some kind of electrolytes/glucose drinks to keep energy up too :smile:, actually speaking of i need to get a supply of different snacks/drinks for study leave when alevels start. although i think it's tempting to procrastinate still, it's definitely better having things at reach so i can still watch a revision video on a topic whilst i have a snack. and having mints/sweets i can pop in my mouth whilst working instead of completely stopping. also from a sensory aspect it's helpful cause if you working and get bored having a lil bit of a fun sensory food/drink helps a lott (personally i LOVE sour sweets/carbonated drinks)
so far ding this has SAVED ME, kid u not i've done about 5/6 hours of solid work this week, not including having mocks and homework also :smile:

im def gonna start buying snacks that'll boost my energy and keep them in my room now! that's a really good idea. whenever i take a 'break' from work, it takes me so long to grab something to eat so having it there would be so useful.
Original post by orb22
procrastination is annoying as hell
but on the days where I find I can't beat it I tend to just watch video essays related to the subject I'm trying to study--there's a goldmine on YouTube of them and it does help me remember some aspects of the course in the long run!

Original post by flowersinmyhair
I find forcing myself to do revision is the best thing I can do, even if I don't want to because I know will regret it later

Original post by MP_25

Original post by crazyhuman007
When I really don't want to study and I've imagine myself studying and go *ughh*, the thought of "oh, I can listen to some music while studying" somehow makes it easier for me to think about studying => I go put some music on and go study, sure i've heard music doesn't help you study and it distracts you, but it's either that or I don't study that day soo🤷*♀️

Original post by skitter12
I sometimes tell myself that I will fail if I don't do this,which doesn't sound very motivational, but it helps as the harshness snaps me out of procrastinating sometimes- or I give myself a reward after, e.g. video games

Original post by miss_nia
you have been on fire with the forums lately!! i love it sm
i love to watch those study-aesthetic-pinterest board esque study channels on youtube, they motivate me a lot. i also like drinking coffee/tea whilst i work, and i love working with piano music. i think my key to beating procrastination is to make myself feel as comfortable as possible whilst i work.
however, the main MAIN thing is limit my phone usage until i've done a few hours of work. if i wake up and i'm scrolling on my bed for an hour, i've filled up my brain with dopamine. now it has this need for short term gratification that revising 2 hours of hard physics is not going to provide. like scientifically, your brain is literally not going to switch back on. don't use your phone/doomscroll when you wake up!! it literally messes up your whole day.
it's also a matter of discipline! remember your goals and realise that the studying is going to pay off (my biggest motivator rn is going to my firm in october and the 4 month summer in between!!)
thanks for sharing everybody!! and that's so sweet of you @miss_nia :biggrin:
Reply 10
thanks for sharing everybody!! and that's so sweet of you @miss_nia :biggrin:

:biggrin::biggrin:
Hello everyone,
Welcome to the third thread from emmanuella's Study Discussions, led by @emm4nuella! In these threads, we will be talking and discussing all things to do with studying and revision, especially as exam season is looming! Today's thread is all about beating procrastination!

I procrastinated all the time as a student! So what I'd recommend to break this cycle is to study with friends to keep each other motivated and on task, and it makes it more fun. You could go grab a coffee together afterwards or go for a walk.

Try to eliminate any distractions, try different ways of revising and find one that's more fun or suits you. For me I loved using Quizlet to create flashcards as it was a more fun way of revising. There's also an app called Forest which helps you avoid distractions by planting a virtual tree! The tree grows as you focus on your work, and the opposite if you leave the app, so it's just more of a fun way of staying motivated and avoiding procrastination :smile:

Good luck to everyone sitting their exams soon, you've got this! :smile:

Becky
Hello everyone,

i like to set timers for things - if im watching netflix ill set a 5 minute time until i HAVE to start working - it just gives my that little nudge that i need to get up.
also time blocking really helps because i know that if i do a certain amount of revision i get a certain reward (watching tv, making myself a little snack, reading a book, going for a walk)
as @MP_25 said snacks really help and i like to make them while a take a break because then i dont start doing other things that will help me procrastinate - e.g. i'll do 45 hour of flashcards and then have a 5/10 minute break while i make myself a cup of tea
finally, i always keep my phone in another room becuase otherwise i literally am not be able to study, and i try not to go on my phones during my shorter breaks

Quick Reply