The Student Room Group

Help me pick my firm + insurance! (Biomed applicants pls help 🙏)

Ofc I’m going to make an informed decision on my own, but just out of curiosity which of these uni offers for Biomedical Science (BSc) would you suggest to firm and insure:
- Edinburgh (AAB)
- Manchester (AAB)
- Warwick (AAB)
- Birmingham (AAB, ABB with A in EPQ)
- Leeds (ABB)

I’m leaning to firm Manchester as it’s just 3 years but I’ve heard Edinburgh has the better rep for bio, and has more optional courses such as computational biology modules (I want to pursue bioinformatics), so I’m quite torn..
Reply 1
Which course do you prefer?
What are your likely grades?
Reply 2
Original post by McGinger
Which course do you prefer?
What are your likely grades?

I prefer the Edinburgh course and my likely grades are A*AA or A*AB with A/B in EPQ so not too worried about meeting requirements- i’m just worried because I’ve heard edinburgh has bad student satisfaction ratings..
Go with what you would prefer at Edinburgh, especially as it has the modules you would like to do
Reply 4
Original post by Emiliaur
I prefer the Edinburgh course and my likely grades are A*AA or A*AB with A/B in EPQ so not too worried about meeting requirements- i’m just worried because I’ve heard edinburgh has bad student satisfaction ratings..

Student Satisfaction is a nonsense. Its always totally out of date as the 'current' data will be for those who graduated last year - and therefore, who started their degree 4 years ago. Its also notoriously prone to bias - not all graduates answer it and those that do are usually those with a beef about a particular issue.

In the case of Edinburgh, its probably because of the lecturer strikes there that meant that many of that cohort 'graduated' without knowing their degree grade, and there was orchestrated disruption at their grad ceremonies. On a more petty level I have also known students use SS to whinge about the fact that the microwave was removed from their common room or that a lecturer had the audacity to go on earlier than expected maternity leave mid-course. It can get warped by stuff that has actually nothing to do with anything important - or it can become a popularity poll for 'favourite' or 'entertaining' lecturers.

Do not use this sort of stuff to pick your Uni or your course. Go where the course interests you the most and to a Uni where you will feel comfortable. If that is E'burgh, then that's fine - go there, and enjoy it all.
Reply 5
Original post by McGinger
Student Satisfaction is a nonsense. Its always totally out of date as the 'current' data will be for those who graduated last year - and therefore, who started their degree 4 years ago. Its also notoriously prone to bias - not all graduates answer it and those that do are usually those with a beef about a particular issue.
In the case of Edinburgh, its probably because of the lecturer strikes there that meant that many of that cohort 'graduated' without knowing their degree grade, and there was orchestrated disruption at their grad ceremonies. On a more petty level I have also known students use SS to whinge about the fact that the microwave was removed from their common room or that a lecturer had the audacity to go on earlier than expected maternity leave mid-course. It can get warped by stuff that has actually nothing to do with anything important - or it can become a popularity poll for 'favourite' or 'entertaining' lecturers.
Do not use this sort of stuff to pick your Uni or your course. Go where the course interests you the most and to a Uni where you will feel comfortable. If that is E'burgh, then that's fine - go there, and enjoy it all.

Hi thanks I appreciate the advice mate- I had no idea about the strikes, that would explain the negative student reviews I’ve seen about Edi. But overall I really like the course structure and I think it’s a beautiful city- I think I might be ready to make my decision (after talk to my parents ofc lol)
i’ve firmed edinburgh, good luck picking! 😊
Reply 7
Am curious what can you do with a medical science degree ?

Quick Reply