The Student Room Group

Uni dilemma

So I have received an offer from Oxford to study Classics. The thing is as much as classics fascinâtes me ( and it really does) I think deep down my passion has always been music. In terms of my music abilities and I am currently studying music A level and have done my diploma in piano, as well as grade 8 theory and grade 7 violin. I think the reason why I didn’t initially apply for music is because I didn’t know what I would do with a music degree, which is why I went with my other interest. Now on reflection I know that music has always been my passion and I don’t know what I would do without it. What should I do ?
Original post by Anonymous
So I have received an offer from Oxford to study Classics. The thing is as much as classics fascinâtes me ( and it really does) I think deep down my passion has always been music. In terms of my music abilities and I am currently studying music A level and have done my diploma in piano, as well as grade 8 theory and grade 7 violin. I think the reason why I didn’t initially apply for music is because I didn’t know what I would do with a music degree, which is why I went with my other interest. Now on reflection I know that music has always been my passion and I don’t know what I would do without it. What should I do ?

Well, the way I see it there are two paths you can take:

#1: You decide that you really really really want to study music and so, you decline your Oxford place and reapply to study music this year. If you really want to study music, it makes very little sense to study something else, even if you're studying in Oxford.

#2: You go on to study classics but carry the music with you. I'm a massive fan of music, I'm crazily passionate about it, I think it is an integral part of being human and I couldn't live without it... but I don't study it. I study psychology at university, and I pursue music in my spare time. And it is very feasible and still great fun - my university doesn't even have a music degree, yet the music society is possibly the most active society we have, and we have some proper professionals and people helping each other on our musical journeys. It's excellent stuff, a great way to continue being musical while doing something else that I enjoy too. Something to consider. Whatever you do, always, always carry the music with you :smile:
Reply 2
I can't really imagine studying Music for 3 years and maybe neither can you. As skilled as it is, it is surely more limiting in transferable skills. Also, Oxford is the second highest ranked university in the world for Classics after Sapienza (QS Rankings 2024). Classics was integral to Oxford's whole education system from its founding until the 20th Century.
(edited 1 month ago)
Hello,

Oxford muso alumna here! :musicus: A question for you: is your passion for music primarily or solely performance-oriented, or do you think you'd enjoy studying aspects of it like history, theory, composition, harmony and counterpoint, etc? :smile:
Original post by Anonymous

Hello, you could try to ask the admissions office if it would be possible for you to change your course, while this is not always possible it’s definitely worth a try.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending