The Student Room Group

Exeter Law Prestige

I really love the look of Exeter, particularly the Penryn campus (for Law with Business), however I am concerned not going to a London uni/Oxbridge might hinder my career prospects for getting a training contract to be a solicitor at a top firm. Would this be the case? Please be honest/realistic. Thank you! :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by lawofducks123
I really love the look of Exeter, particularly the Penryn campus (for Law with Business), however I am concerned not going to a London uni/Oxbridge might hinder my career prospects for getting a training contract to be a solicitor at a top firm. Would this be the case? Please be honest/realistic. Thank you! :smile:

Short answer: No

Long answer: There seems to be a big misconception in the law community that not going to Oxbridge or a London university is going to significantly impact your career. Exeter is ultimately still a Russell Group university and it's still ranked quite decently for law (20th in The Complete University Guide, 16th in The Times and 35th in The Guardian). While it's true that the university you go to does matter more in law than it does in most careers, it isn't the end-all-be-all. There is more to training contract applications than what school and university you attended or what grades you got. They look for things like how you think, commercial awareness, group collaboration skills etc. When you attend insight schemes at firms, you'll find that there will be lots of people from Russell Group and non-Russell Group universities. It's true that there is a higher proportion of trainees are from Oxbridge, but that's largely due to the volume of applicants. There's simply more of them who apply, so naturally, they would have a higher chance of getting a TC. You'll be fine as long as you focus some of your attention on your career whilst studying. Join the Exeter law society, get involved in pro-bono work if it's available, do some work experience in a law firm! You'll be fine.
Original post by bibachu
Short answer: No
Long answer: There seems to be a big misconception in the law community that not going to Oxbridge or a London university is going to significantly impact your career. Exeter is ultimately still a Russell Group university and it's still ranked quite decently for law (20th in The Complete University Guide, 16th in The Times and 35th in The Guardian). While it's true that the university you go to does matter more in law than it does in most careers, it isn't the end-all-be-all. There is more to training contract applications than what school and university you attended or what grades you got. They look for things like how you think, commercial awareness, group collaboration skills etc. When you attend insight schemes at firms, you'll find that there will be lots of people from Russell Group and non-Russell Group universities. It's true that there is a higher proportion of trainees are from Oxbridge, but that's largely due to the volume of applicants. There's simply more of them who apply, so naturally, they would have a higher chance of getting a TC. You'll be fine as long as you focus some of your attention on your career whilst studying. Join the Exeter law society, get involved in pro-bono work if it's available, do some work experience in a law firm! You'll be fine.

Thank you so much for this response. I think my concern was that, while people can get TCs at good firms at unis like Exeter, it might be more challenging, as I wouldn't have the extra appeal of going to a slightly more prestigious uni (though Exeter is still decently ranked like you said). 🙂
I would urge caution with Penryn, purely from a logistical point of view. Falmouth is 2 hours and 100 miles from Exeter. So long as you have actually visited it and are satisfied with the travel, then knock yourself out - but do not apply there without having seen it irl.
Original post by Trinculo
I would urge caution with Penryn, purely from a logistical point of view. Falmouth is 2 hours and 100 miles from Exeter. So long as you have actually visited it and are satisfied with the travel, then knock yourself out - but do not apply there without having seen it irl.

You don't need to travel from Penryn to Exeter other than to travel at the beginning/end of term though do you? My assumption was that classes and everything were fully on the Penryn campus if you were staying there...
You don't need to travel from Penryn to Exeter other than to travel at the beginning/end of term though do you? My assumption was that classes and everything were fully on the Penryn campus if you were staying there...

No, but I'm giving context as to how far away Penryn is from anything - plus the majority of the union / sports infrastructure is at Streatham
Reply 6
Original post by Trinculo
No, but I'm giving context as to how far away Penryn is from anything - plus the majority of the union / sports infrastructure is at Streatham

Penryn has its own Student Union which is shared between Falmouth Uni and Exeter, so I wouldn't worry too much about missing out on such activities and although the main campus infrastructure is indeed better I wouldn't say the Penryn facilities are bad in any way judging from their website and youtube showcases. https://www.thesu.org.uk/activities/groups/directory/
Exeter is not that hard to get into as they seem to take everyone on Results Day regardless of grades - so, however you think you can measure 'prestige', Exeter doesn't have any.
Absolutely not, I am a solicitor and can safely say that a law degree from Exeter Uni is held in high regard in the legal profession. I have hired several high quality Exeter Uni graduates over the years. Total misconception that you need to go to Oxbridge/London uni etc purely for career prospects.
Original post by McGinger
Exeter is not that hard to get into as they seem to take everyone on Results Day regardless of grades - so, however you think you can measure 'prestige', Exeter doesn't have any.

Is this for law ??? I was informed by my head of sixth form that they don’t budge on the grades? Confused now.
I also have an offer for Law with business at Exeter for September 2024 start! I've spoken to quite a few lawyers and most usually dont even pursue law at university. From what I've seen, I'd say that as long as you go to a Russel group university you're in a very good position for getting a training contract at a good law firm, it doesnt really matter too much whether you do a law degree or a non-law degree. It also depends on how you do in University. For example, theres a student who studies English Lit at UCL and gets a 2:1 but a student who studies English Lit at Birmingham gets a 1:1 and they both apply for training contracts at the same law firm. The Birmingham student would have a higher possibility of getting the contract due to having better grades. It also depends on your application for training contracts, doing a law degree helps with the application and interviews because you'll have more knowledge than a non-law degree applicant to help you, but once you get the training contract, the law firm trains you on how to go about your job and teaches you everything you need to know about the law for it. Not going to a London uni doesnt hinder your chances of getting a training contract, if you're really worried that it might, I know QMUL has vacancies for law or you could apply for one of the humanities based degrees at KCL and UCL through clearing. Exeter is also one of the better non-London russel group uni's so I think if you just do well in uni and get a 1:1, have a good application for training contracts and you do well on the interviews, you have a really good chance of getting a training contract at a top law firm. I hope I was able to answer your question :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending