The Student Room Group

worried about autism + heightened sensitivity to smells when moving into uni halls

i have a heightened sense of smell, and it really affects my daily life - i find it very difficult to be home when someone is frying/cooking something, or be around people smoking/ smell bad ect. wost case is when i have a full on breakdown + have a sensory overload whenever i've visited uni halls i've noticed a lingering smell of either fried food or spices, and i was wondering how other neurodivergent ppl cope with this?
usually i try to plan my schedule around conventional meal times + have my window open whenever i'm home, but i have also noticed that the windows dont open that much in halls.
Original post by Anonymous
i have a heightened sense of smell, and it really affects my daily life - i find it very difficult to be home when someone is frying/cooking something, or be around people smoking/ smell bad ect. wost case is when i have a full on breakdown + have a sensory overload whenever i've visited uni halls i've noticed a lingering smell of either fried food or spices, and i was wondering how other neurodivergent ppl cope with this?
usually i try to plan my schedule around conventional meal times + have my window open whenever i'm home, but i have also noticed that the windows dont open that much in halls.

Hi, fellow neurodivergent person here. I'm not entirely sure, but could you put on your access requirement forms about having a room away from kitchen/ communal areas? You just need to get your GP etc. to fill in the additional requirements form on your accommodation application It wouldn't be a perfect solution but it might reduce the intensity of the smell a bit.
Also, not sure if this would help you but whenever I go somewhere stuffy, or with an unfamiliar smell, I always try to bring a piece of fabric/ clothing item that has a comforting or familiar smell to it, or even familiar shampoo/ body wash. Might help with sensory overload at the beginning when getting used to the environment?

Hope everything goes well.
Reply 2
Are your Firm Uni aware of your autism etc?
Is living in 'studio' accommodation on your own with your own kitchen an option?
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, fellow neurodivergent person here. I'm not entirely sure, but could you put on your access requirement forms about having a room away from kitchen/ communal areas? You just need to get your GP etc. to fill in the additional requirements form on your accommodation application It wouldn't be a perfect solution but it might reduce the intensity of the smell a bit.
Also, not sure if this would help you but whenever I go somewhere stuffy, or with an unfamiliar smell, I always try to bring a piece of fabric/ clothing item that has a comforting or familiar smell to it, or even familiar shampoo/ body wash. Might help with sensory overload at the beginning when getting used to the environment?
Hope everything goes well.

thank you. i will bear this in mind when applying for accom.
Reply 4
Original post by McGinger
Are your Firm Uni aware of your autism etc?
Is living in 'studio' accommodation on your own with your own kitchen an option?

they are aware. i don't really want to miss out on the experience of living in halls though, yk?

Quick Reply