The Student Room Group

Summer after Uni Bucket List Ideas

Hey guys. I hope everyone is well :smile:

I just wanted to get some ideas for things to do during the summer or the REALLY LONG break that I'll be having after graduation this summer. I wanna create a bucket list of things to try and do, and wanted to see if you guys had any ideas.

I wanna have maybe 3/4 categories (Personal/Professional/Skill (or online courses etc)/Relaxation and Exercise)

If you guys have any ideas, please feel free to share. Really wanna feel like I've actually achieved something by the end of the long break Inshaa Allah. Would appreciate any ideas you guys could share, please.

Thanks in advance, and take care :smile:
Original post by Ali-liyyah
I just wanted to get some ideas for things to do during the summer or the REALLY LONG break that I'll be having after graduation this summer. I wanna create a bucket list of things to try and do, and wanted to see if you guys had any ideas.
I wanna have maybe 3/4 categories (Personal/Professional/Skill (or online courses etc)/Relaxation and Exercise)
If you guys have any ideas, please feel free to share. Really wanna feel like I've actually achieved something by the end of the long break Inshaa Allah. Would appreciate any ideas you guys could share, please.

Hi Ali-liyyah

This is a great idea!

For exercise, maybe you could try joining a local sports team - football, hockey, netball, etc. I always want to do this but feel I can't commit much time while at uni, so maybe this is something to try. You could also try out some hikes in new places, or just sightseeing and walking around new cities.

For professional and skills, you could have a go at learning another language. Again, something we don't always have a lot of time to try when studying. Or, maybe you could work on your CV, job application stuff, and interview practice.

For personal, maybe you could try doing some more things on your own. You might do this already, but I like having days out on my own just for some clear headspace. A trip to the cinema, a restaurant, or even an overnight stay somewhere new can be a nice new adventure.

I hope your list is coming together! 🙂
Emily
Student Rep at BCU
Ohh I like this idea
For exercise, maybe you could do something related like if the weather is nice you could try surfing or paddle boarding or something different that you’ve never tried before even
Original post by Ali-liyyah

Hiya!

What a great idea for a discussion, and I am really looking forward to continuing reading this when there are some more ideas; and keeping note of some for future me!

Congratulations for Graduating! And have you got a path after Graduation yet?

For relaxation, perhaps you can treat yourself to a well-deserved spa day, a road trip somewhere or even try hobbies such as yoga, journaling and photography. You have done amazing at university, and I am sure there were times when it was quite stressful so try and treat yourself and have a day of doing something for you! I often try to find a ‘me day’, and hobbies wise I love to take photos especially whilst I am on holiday as I do find it quite relaxing.

For professionalism, perhaps you can try a new course or learn a new skill. Is there a language, you have always wanted to try and learn but been too busy or prioritised something else? I have often tried to keep up my French, that I studied during GCSE and I also tried learning a new language British Sign Language (BSL) but often it is forgotten and not consistently practiced. Also, perhaps if you manage to upkeep this new skill it can aid you professionally as you have a desired skill. In addition, depending on the career field that you are pursuing are there any direct skills that are crucial; for example, if a high standard of writing is crucial, you can start blogging, journaling, and reading to help advance and maintain your skills.

Regarding personal skills, is there something you always wanted to try but never found you had the time? When I was a lot younger, I used to have lots of different hobbies and now I am older I find it challenging sometimes to dedicate spare time to them. If you can’t think of anything, maybe ask others what they do, or even have a google, or go on Pinterest and Tik Tok and feel inspired. Currently, when I find the time I read, crochet, go on walks and do some colouring in and as well as these activities helping me to relax, you also develop various skills.

Enjoy the summer, and I hope you manage to complete or almost complete your bucket list!

-Maddie, Second Year Health, and Well-being in Society student at De Montfort University

Quick Reply