The Student Room Group

Could someone help mark this?

I’ve done a practice paper question answer for GCSE English Lang paper one - Question 3, which has always been a struggle to me. And I don’t know how to know if I’m improving or not 😭

Here’s the source: https://www.goldington.beds.sch.uk/ckfinder/userfiles/files/Curriculum%20Areas/English/Language/AQA-Jamaica%20Inn%20Paper%201%20Question%20Paper.pdf

At the beginning of the text, the writer purposely focuses the readers attention on the depressing weather of Cornwall as the passengers travel to Jamaica Inn. It highlights the rain and how it falls through a crack in the roof of the coach and onto the seats. This, along with the weather, may reflect the uncomfortable journey for many of the coach riders. This is shown as “the wind came in gusts, at times shaking the coach” making the journey seem unpleasant.

Towards the centre of the extract, the writer introduces the specific people on the couch, with which perspective from the setting of the gloomy outside weather to the intimate feel of the coaches interior. “the few passengers huddled together for warmth” implies that the cold weather outside was seeping into the coach as a passengers seeked to each other’s bodily warmth for refuge.

The writer than combines both themes of the passengers and the harsh weather as an agitated man shouts out of the window to the driver at the front with a complaining tone, declaring that “they would all be dead” before they reached Bodmin. This gives the reader a slightly erie image, considering the fact that the coach was quickly going around corner bends, and shaking due to the bad weather.

Nearing the end of the extract, the readers experience is narrowed down to the singular named character, Mary Yellen. We are offered an insight into her mind as she brushed away the occasional drop of rain with “impatient” fingers - displaying the annoyance she felt for the journey to the reader.

The writer then returns, the focus back to the dreary weather beyond the vehicle, matching the mood of the coach passengers aboard. Mary wishes for a ray of sunshine, but has little hope for an improvement in her ride to Bodmin.
Original post by gabriellarockx
I’ve done a practice paper question answer for GCSE English Lang paper one - Question 3, which has always been a struggle to me. And I don’t know how to know if I’m improving or not 😭
Here’s the source: https://www.goldington.beds.sch.uk/ckfinder/userfiles/files/Curriculum%20Areas/English/Language/AQA-Jamaica%20Inn%20Paper%201%20Question%20Paper.pdf
At the beginning of the text, the writer purposely focuses the readers attention on the depressing weather of Cornwall as the passengers travel to Jamaica Inn. It highlights the rain and how it falls through a crack in the roof of the coach and onto the seats. This, along with the weather, may reflect the uncomfortable journey for many of the coach riders. This is shown as “the wind came in gusts, at times shaking the coach” making the journey seem unpleasant.
Towards the centre of the extract, the writer introduces the specific people on the couch, with which perspective from the setting of the gloomy outside weather to the intimate feel of the coaches interior. “the few passengers huddled together for warmth” implies that the cold weather outside was seeping into the coach as a passengers seeked to each other’s bodily warmth for refuge.
The writer than combines both themes of the passengers and the harsh weather as an agitated man shouts out of the window to the driver at the front with a complaining tone, declaring that “they would all be dead” before they reached Bodmin. This gives the reader a slightly erie image, considering the fact that the coach was quickly going around corner bends, and shaking due to the bad weather.
Nearing the end of the extract, the readers experience is narrowed down to the singular named character, Mary Yellen. We are offered an insight into her mind as she brushed away the occasional drop of rain with “impatient” fingers - displaying the annoyance she felt for the journey to the reader.
The writer then returns, the focus back to the dreary weather beyond the vehicle, matching the mood of the coach passengers aboard. Mary wishes for a ray of sunshine, but has little hope for an improvement in her ride to Bodmin.

First of all, Well done for english preparation ! Your hard work will pay off in the end.
It is important to remember to keep referring back to the question, "Why does it interest the reader?"
For example, the way the driver shouts that they'll all be dead before they reach their destination: how is that interesting? The reader wants to read on to see whether their carriage succumbs to the storm or if they get to their destination safely

Quick Reply