The Student Room Group

Psychology to Vet

I am currently in second year pursuing bachelors of arts in psychology in india but i really want to become a vet is there a way i can do after completing my bachelors or which vet school would aceept me pls let me know
Original post by janvipilankar
I am currently in second year pursuing bachelors of arts in psychology in india but i really want to become a vet is there a way i can do after completing my bachelors or which vet school would aceept me pls let me know

There are just 11 veterinary schools in the UK:

Royal Veterinary College, University of London
University of Cambridge
University of Liverpool
The Royal (****) School of Veterinary Studies, University of Edinburgh
University of Glasgow
University of Bristol
University of Nottingham
University of Surrey
Harper and Keele Veterinary School
•The Aberystwyth School of Veterinary Science (in collaboration with the Royal Veterinary College)
University of Central Lancashire

Many have "graduate entry" routes, for those with existing undergraduate degrees - although they often ask for a science-based degree. Those which do not often ask for sciences at A level (or the international equivalent).

For example, see the Veterinary Science: Accelerated Graduate Entry programme at University of Bristol (here). They stipulate: "Undergraduate bachelors degree (first or 2:1 or equivalent) in a relevant science subject. The following degrees can be accepted from any UK University: Applied Anatomy; Biochemistry; Biology; Biomedical Science; Bioveterinary Science; Cancer Biology and Immunology; Cellular and Molecular Medicine; Chemistry; Medical Microbiology; Neuroscience; Pharmacology; Physiological Science; Veterinary Nursing and Bioveterinary Science; Veterinary Nursing and Companion Animal Behaviour; Virology and Immunology; and Zoology. Other science-related degree courses, including those achieved overseas, may also be considered on a case-by-case basis" You will note that they don't mention Psychology.

University of Liverpool provide details of their Veterinary Science programme here, but it on their separate "Veterinary Science BVSc - how to apply" page (here) that they provide details for graduate applicants: "An upper second class (2.i) Honours Degree completed in the last 5 years is required together with Biology and Chemistry at A level." So they don't stipulate the degree subject, but they do stipulate Biology and Chemistry at A level (they provide further detail on that page, so so have a read, including the scope they have for "high-achieving graduates who have not completed A levels".

I suggest you carefully check the web site of each of the veterinary schools listed above, and check whether or not you will meet their requirements upon graduation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending