The Student Room Group

Advice for English Language AQA Paper 1 Question 5

I really struggle with Question 5 of paper 1 as it takes me a long time to think of sentences with complex vocabulary and punctuation etc. It also really doesn't help as we have around 45 minutes for a full story.

Is there a way to pre-plan your essay and have it fit whatever that comes up in the exam? Also any recommendations for methods to practise writing better stories/descriptions, I tend to just get stuck and then procrastinate. Thanks!
Original post by full-size-hustle
I really struggle with Question 5 of paper 1 as it takes me a long time to think of sentences with complex vocabulary and punctuation etc. It also really doesn't help as we have around 45 minutes for a full story.
Is there a way to pre-plan your essay and have it fit whatever that comes up in the exam? Also any recommendations for methods to practise writing better stories/descriptions, I tend to just get stuck and then procrastinate. Thanks!

i personally would not pre plan the whole thing because it just might not fit what they give you, like last year the picture was of a zoo and the story was when an animal and human meet, so a pre planned story would be very difficult to adapt. what i do, is i memorize really good descriptions of things you would be able to find in any story or setting, like the weather or the trees, or the sea. that way you can easily adapt to any place or story because you find these things anywhere, and you can just squeeze them in to bag so many more marks for content!
Alright, thanks! Since you said the picture, would you recommend doing the description or the story? Personally I find the story a bit easier however I am not really sure how to fit like a description of like the weather into it. Would it be possible to do like a flashback where the character gets reminded of a day where the weather was really bad etc?
Alright, thanks! Since you said the picture, would you recommend doing the description or the story? Personally I find the story a bit easier however I am not really sure how to fit like a description of like the weather into it. Would it be possible to do like a flashback where the character gets reminded of a day where the weather was really bad etc?

to be honest, i was a description fan before but now i could do either, and of course you can use weather in a story! its actually better, since it can be used as pathetic fallacy to set the tone. i would open with a flashback of the climax of the stroy, then after describe the weather which will the be even MORE tense since the examiner knows its leading to something bad (ive never tried this before, but i might now haha)
Reply 4

I found it useful to already have a description of a human character. Even if the image contains a person, you can have it from their point of view and describe the already planned character.

Quick Reply