The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

Questions about Computer Science course

I have an offer for MEng Computer Science with Year in Industry and have a couple questions.

1. I was wondering, how much of the course is maths based? (decision maths, statistics etc.). From the surface, outside of mandatory 1st year maths modules, there don't seem to be any optional modules you can pick to further knowledge of things like statistics (which is important for fields like data science, no?).

2. Is there an option to study abroad or have your year in industry be abroad? I'm lucky to be an EU student with home status so I have free movement to be anywhere in the EU. It's a path that I am definitely interested in.

I also have an offer from Bath for Computer Science and Maths with study abroad/year in industry which does both of these, however I much prefer the campus and city here and would honestly much rather live in Southampton (less expensive than Bath, more things to do, campus is close to everything instead of out in the countryside). I am in a difficult situation of having to pick between these two options with a month left until the accepting offers deadline.
Can i just ask what you were predicted
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Reply 2
in answer to no2 I'm pretty sure you can choose year in industry including abroad with Southampton, we went to offer holder day last week and they were talking about this. Careers support seemed excellent
Original post by Anonymous
I have an offer for MEng Computer Science with Year in Industry and have a couple questions.
1. I was wondering, how much of the course is maths based? (decision maths, statistics etc.). From the surface, outside of mandatory 1st year maths modules, there don't seem to be any optional modules you can pick to further knowledge of things like statistics (which is important for fields like data science, no?).
2. Is there an option to study abroad or have your year in industry be abroad? I'm lucky to be an EU student with home status so I have free movement to be anywhere in the EU. It's a path that I am definitely interested in.
I also have an offer from Bath for Computer Science and Maths with study abroad/year in industry which does both of these, however I much prefer the campus and city here and would honestly much rather live in Southampton (less expensive than Bath, more things to do, campus is close to everything instead of out in the countryside). I am in a difficult situation of having to pick between these two options with a month left until the accepting offers deadline.

Hi there!

I'm Joshua, and I'm currently on my 2nd year on MEng CompSci with Cyber Security.

I know that the University does facilitate a lot of studying in Europe options for many courses, I'm not on the year in industry course but we have a brilliant Industry Representative for the Computer Science department who I will pass your question about studying abroad on to instead and I'll get back to you when I hear more information! The year in industry options at southampton are great, we have a very strong network of businesses and companies that work with the department, and I'd imagine if there are opportunities to study abroad that you'd be able to go for it for sure.

Regarding the modules, there are several maths modules in first and second year that are compulsary, (for example theory of computer science in 2nd yr). The course is currently being restructured so there isn't a lot of information about the new modules yet, but I will try and find out what I can for you.

If you are more interested in the data science and maths element, the uni also offers a Maths with Computer Science degree too, which is 3 parts maths to 1 part CompSci. Computer Science students also can choose to take Maths modules for options in 3rd year if they would like to!

When I find out more, I'll reply to you ASAP.

All the best,

Joshua
2nd Year CompSci student
Hi there!

As promised, I've got a little bit more information for you. Regarding the placements abroad, I contacted our industry officer who came back with the following response:
"We have in the past had opportunities like this but they were not a specific offering on the degree programme. It is perfectly possible for students to find an opportunity of this kind themselves (from an organization such as Gradcracker) and then take a year out from their degree (if it is approved by ECS as a relevant opportunity). I don’t think we have any formal opportunity being run by ECS or the Faculty over the last few years. The student might like to check this with the ECS Student Office or with their personal tutor."
In summary, if you have any studying abroad opportunities the department will be able to incorporate that into your degree programme, but you might need to find the opportunities first.

Regarding the Maths modules, the programme lead said the following:
"There are some maths modules offered as options in Part III (Optimisation and Operational Research). There’s no single data science module because that’s a broad topic; instead, look at the Machine Learning modules plus things like data mining and data visualization."

I hope this helps, if you have any more questions please feel free to ask them!

All the best,

Joshua 😄

Quick Reply