The Student Room Group

Ocr a level bio

Im trying to get a B in biology and really struggling especially when doing the specimen papers its drops my confidence completely because i would get a 60% on the paper and it has no grade boundaries to look at??? do actual exams come as hard as the specimen papers are or are they just deliberately made to be this difficult xx
I have found doing the specimen papers to be hardish, but they are quite similar to the actual exam papers. One way you can get a feel for how similar they are to the exam papers is by doing them. I find mine on physics and maths tutor and they all come witht he mark schemes and you can easily find the grade boundaries by searching "OCR grade boundaries (year)"into google they tend to be the first to come up, and then you scroll to find the grade boundaries for biology (Which tend to be the second down on the first page).
I much perfer doing the past papers as you can get more questions to be tested and they have the boundaries so you can mark your progress down. The past papers mean you can also compare them to the specimen papers and get a feel for what the real exams are going to be like.
Top tip - when marking you are going to learn more of the marking scheme as it tells you the wording that the examiners are after and what points are most commonly used, this is what my teacher says and it really helps

https://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/past-papers/a-level-biology/ - this is the physics and maths tutor website for biology past papers, find the paper you want to try, mark it and find the grade boundaries.

Sorry this is long, hope it helps 🙂
Reply 2
Original post by solothechicken
I have found doing the specimen papers to be hardish, but they are quite similar to the actual exam papers. One way you can get a feel for how similar they are to the exam papers is by doing them. I find mine on physics and maths tutor and they all come witht he mark schemes and you can easily find the grade boundaries by searching "OCR grade boundaries (year)"into google they tend to be the first to come up, and then you scroll to find the grade boundaries for biology (Which tend to be the second down on the first page).
I much perfer doing the past papers as you can get more questions to be tested and they have the boundaries so you can mark your progress down. The past papers mean you can also compare them to the specimen papers and get a feel for what the real exams are going to be like.
Top tip - when marking you are going to learn more of the marking scheme as it tells you the wording that the examiners are after and what points are most commonly used, this is what my teacher says and it really helps
https://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/past-papers/a-level-biology/ - this is the physics and maths tutor website for biology past papers, find the paper you want to try, mark it and find the grade boundaries.
Sorry this is long, hope it helps 🙂

thank you so much !!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending