The Student Room Group

PhD

Do I need a 1st to get into a PhD programme or 2:1 is enough. I know it says minimum 2:1 but do they pick students who achieved a 2:1 or do they pick students who got a 1st because I didn't do so well in 2nd year and I might do a PhD or MSc programme after I graduate. So is a 1st a must to guarantee a place or not, if not what are some things that I should do, to be able to get a place if I get less than 1st
Reply 1
Original post by abdul 580
Do I need a 1st to get into a PhD programme or 2:1 is enough. I know it says minimum 2:1 but do they pick students who achieved a 2:1 or do they pick students who got a 1st because I didn't do so well in 2nd year and I might do a PhD or MSc programme after I graduate. So is a 1st a must to guarantee a place or not, if not what are some things that I should do, to be able to get a place if I get less than 1st

If the requirements state a 2:1 is required then a 2:1 is enough. They'll be looking for things beside grades in your applications (e.g. how involved you are with research, what your plan is when studying a PhD). A 1st is not the requirement, but it definitely doesn't hurt to have, so yes, they'll be choosing people who likely have a 1st as well as people that meet their minimum of a 2:1. What's important here other than your grades is how you present yourself and your ideas.

Quick Reply