The Student Room Group

Bath now or KCL after a gap year? Really Important!

Hello to everyone. I would like to get help from you.
So I want to study business (management with marketing). I received an offer from Bath, but due to the low rank in the world, I have doubts. Instead, I want to study A level Maths in 1 year, because I am missing 1 A level for KCL University. I thought that I would study Maths in my gap year and it would be possible to get an A. I have no preference where to study, in a big or small city. Is it worth spending a year studying maths in order to go to KCL to study business management, or is it worth going to Bath now?
Reply 1
Are you a UK resident and would you reasonably expect to work in the UK on graduation?
What was your GCSE maths grade?
Bath = an excellent Management School and its placement system is probably the best in the UK.
How realistic is it that you would a) get an A in Maths via home study and b) even get an offer from KCL.
And since KCL isn't 'better' than Bath, its not actually worth all of that risk.
Reply 3
Original post by ajj2000
Are you a UK resident and would you reasonably expect to work in the UK on graduation?
What was your GCSE maths grade?

I am a refugee from Ukraine. I came to sixth form straight away, without GCSE. But, at the end of 12th grade, I wrote Maths and got 6 and prepared for about 2 months. And I write English mock at an average of 6-7, I will write English in May with year 11. In fact, I'm not sure that I want to continue living in the UK, although maybe I can get one or two years of work experience, but overall, I'll most likely return home.
Reply 4
Original post by McGinger
Bath = an excellent Management School and its placement system is probably the best in the UK.
How realistic is it that you would a) get an A in Maths via home study and b) even get an offer from KCL.
And since KCL isn't 'better' than Bath, its not actually worth all of that risk.

Considering the fact that I will study only mathematics for one year, I can spend 5 hours every day on it, although, to be honest, I certainly don’t really want to do this. But, if this is the key to one of the best universities, I will do it. I have a friend who does A level maths and he will help me achieve an A grade.
As for the offer, I called directly to King's University and told them my situation, and also mentioned that I was studying BTEC. They told me that I need to get 3 DDD. I already know that I will get D*DD. And also, in addition, I need 2 A levels, the first is the A level Russian and the second will be Maths itself. And I need to score A*A grades at two A levels. I'm sure I'll get an A* in Russian, and maybe an A in mathematics, I think I can. Therefore, I think there are chances. In addition, I will be considered for a contextual offer, because I am a refugee who fled the war (as they explained to me) so in this case I only need AB in these A levels.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending