The Student Room Group

A level chem - bonding - identifying a substance

I just had a question say you were asked to describe what u would do to determine what type of bonding a substance has lets say u say is it soluble and it isn't so it could be any of the bottom 3 next u say does it conduct electricity and if it does it could be any of the bottom 2 so how would u determine which one it is?Screenshot 2024-04-28 171822.png
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by Rohan007best
I just had a question say you were asked to describe what u would do to determine what type of bonding a substance has lets say u say is it soluble and it isn't so it could be any of the bottom 3 next u say does it conduct electricity and if it does it could be any of the bottom 2 so how would u determine which one it is?Screenshot 2024-04-28 171822.png

So you’re basically trying to work out if it’s graphite or a metal? Graphite is soft? I dont know what else you could use for that
Original post by Teribblestudent
So you’re basically trying to work out if it’s graphite or a metal? Graphite is soft? I dont know what else you could use for that

magnets maybe?
Reply 3
Original post by george flowberry
magnets maybe?

How would that work?
Original post by Methene
How would that work?

metals are magnetic and graphite isn't so if the substance is attracted to a magnet its gotta be a metal
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 5
Original post by george flowberry
metals are magnetic and graphite isn't so if the substance is attracted to a magnet its gotta be graphite and not a metal

I'm not sure about either part of your sentence... not all metals are magnetic?
Original post by Methene
I'm not sure about either part of your sentence... not all metals are magnetic?

mb got them the other way round i fixed it now, but just an idea, idk how else to differentiate between graphite and a metal

Quick Reply