The Student Room Group

Durham or Leeds for maths and economics

I’ve got offers from both unis for maths and economics bsc at Leeds (AAA) and natural sciences maths and economics joint honours from Durham (A*AAA), I have no idea what to choose as I feel Leeds will give me a better uni experience but Durhams degree is more prestigious and will open more finance doors for prospective careers in London, can anyone tell me how much weight a maths and econ degree from Leeds will bear and the difference in prestige and respect from employers, 🙏 🙏
Durham has the stronger brand name but it will be a very different uni experience from Leeds.
Look at the course detail. Look at the optional units for all years of each course on each Uni website and think about what you would actually choose if you went there. If you went to the Open Days, think back to what you liked/didn't like about each Uni, or if you didnt go, then find campus tour films on YouTube.
Original post by harsh-drawer
I’ve got offers from both unis for maths and economics bsc at Leeds (AAA) and natural sciences maths and economics joint honours from Durham (A*AAA), I have no idea what to choose as I feel Leeds will give me a better uni experience but Durhams degree is more prestigious and will open more finance doors for prospective careers in London, can anyone tell me how much weight a maths and econ degree from Leeds will bear and the difference in prestige and respect from employers, 🙏 🙏

You should choose the course you find most interesting. Have you compared modules and optional modules for all years of the course?
Original post by McGinger
Look at the course detail. Look at the optional units for all years of each course on each Uni website and think about what you would actually choose if you went there. If you went to the Open Days, think back to what you liked/didn't like about each Uni, or if you didnt go, then find campus tour films on YouTube.

yes i will do that, thank you !
Yeah i do feel durham will open more doors, but how many moor and whether this is enough to compromise for its lack of student uni experience. Im predicted A*A*A*A so it feels a waste to turn durham down but at the same time its much further away from home, not as modern as leeds and seems to be a much quieter uni experience
Original post by normaw
You should choose the course you find most interesting. Have you compared modules and optional modules for all years of the course?

yes, both courses are very similarly structured so i would enjoy either, making my decision so much more difficult haha.
Reply 7
If anything, Leeds is slightly better for these subjects according to research quality and graduates currently doing something related to their future plans.

Source: www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk
Yeah i do feel durham will open more doors, but how many moor and whether this is enough to compromise for its lack of student uni experience. Im predicted A*A*A*A so it feels a waste to turn durham down but at the same time its much further away from home, not as modern as leeds and seems to be a much quieter uni experience

Leeds has a better Maths course.
Original post by Picnicl
However I'd probably rather be doing these subjects at Nottingham than Leeds.

No, Leeds is better for Maths
Did you get offers from anywhere else of similar ranking?
Original post by Picnicl
Did you get offers from anywhere else of similar ranking?

Well, my personal statement was weak and my subject related extracurriculars didn’t have much depth so the only other offer I got was maths and economics at Newcastle - I was rejected from UCL :frown:
Original post by Picnicl
If anything, Leeds is slightly better for these subjects according to research quality and graduates currently doing something related to their future plans.
Source: www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk

would employers then favour this degree from leeds or durham do you reckon?
would employers then favour this degree from leeds or durham do you reckon?

They wouldn't care as it shows more specificness on your part to deliberately choose the better ranked Leeds over the more stereotypically prestigious Durham. Durham will have technically cleverer students because of entry requirements though. When of similar ranking for a subject, always choose which place makes you feel more comfortable and inspired. I don't personally know how great Leeds is as a big city though. I went once and it felt a bit like a poor version of Newcastle. But the university itself might easily make up for that.
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by Picnicl
They wouldn't care as it shows more specificness on your part to deliberately choose the better ranked Leeds over the more stereotypically prestigious Durham. Durham will have technically cleverer students because of entry requirements though. When of similar ranking for a subject, always choose which place makes you feel more comfortable and inspired. I don't personally know how great Leeds is as a big city though. I went once and it felt a bit like a poor version of Newcastle. But the university itself might easily make up for that.

Thank you! On the complete university guide, it still ranks Durham higher but this comes in conjunction with student satisfaction and other subjective ratings, research is better at Leeds at graduate prospects has a negligible difference so yeah, thanks for the help !
Thank you! On the complete university guide, it still ranks Durham higher but this comes in conjunction with student satisfaction and other subjective ratings, research is better at Leeds at graduate prospects has a negligible difference so yeah, thanks for the help !

League tables are pointess - they do not reflect individual courses well.

Go for Leeds is what I'd recommend if you were one of my students.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending