The Student Room Group

Will I be able to graduate in time ?

I’m a final year law student . I have final exams all due in the same date in early May.
I’ve trying to keep up but I’ve been struggling a lot i have 4 3000 words essays and an online exam which i had to defer from the previous semester due to bereavement. I am quite lucky to have an online exam however . My online exam also due on the same day as my other exams . I do have a learning disability and I’m thinking of getting an extension on the online exam to later date I don’t know if the extension will even be accepted as it an exam paper released to a bunch of students and if I they happen to accept the exam tension will it be marked in time for me to graduate? (Typically coursework extensions are 5days )
I want to the get the best grade possible but due to my disability and the stress and pressure of exam season I don’t know if I’ll be able to get my essays done let alone the online exam .should I request an extension on one essays I’m struggling with the most instead ?
Any advice appreciated
Hey,

I would encourage contacting the disability service and/or lecturers and making them aware and ask their advice. They will be best to help with the specifics and individual nature of your situation.
From my experience of online exams they are treated the same as in person and do not get extensions. Essays and course submissions often do allow extensions with notice and reason in line with the uni policy. In terms of graduating it all depends on marking and how it has been arranged in respect of when the board of examiners meet. Often the expected reasonable extension falls within the marking window to graduate with the cohort - however if extension is long/ resits I know it can mean graduating in a catchup ceremony held later - this is very uni specific in terms of how they do their graduations.

Sorry can't really advise and hope you get the support from your uni.
Catherine - University of Strathclyde Student Ambassador
Original post by Anonymous
I’m a final year law student . I have final exams all due in the same date in early May.
I’ve trying to keep up but I’ve been struggling a lot i have 4 3000 words essays and an online exam which i had to defer from the previous semester due to bereavement. I am quite lucky to have an online exam however . My online exam also due on the same day as my other exams . I do have a learning disability and I’m thinking of getting an extension on the online exam to later date I don’t know if the extension will even be accepted as it an exam paper released to a bunch of students and if I they happen to accept the exam tension will it be marked in time for me to graduate? (Typically coursework extensions are 5days )
I want to the get the best grade possible but due to my disability and the stress and pressure of exam season I don’t know if I’ll be able to get my essays done let alone the online exam .should I request an extension on one essays I’m struggling with the most instead ?
Any advice appreciated

HI there,

This sounds like a tough situation for you to be in.

I would say that it's a good idea to talk to your academic advisor about this as they will be able to help you with this and you might be able to schedule a meeting with them where you can go through with them how you are feeling about everything and what you have to do etc in terms of work and they can work out a solution with you. I've also found them helpful if I have been struggling on a specific thing and they helped to explain it to me so it's also worth asking if there is anything in particular you are struggling with. Exam season can be stressful and they will be there for you with this.

I would also talk to your university wellbeing team as they may be able to help you if you are feeling stressed about the situation as it is good to talk to them if you have been feeling stressed about exams. They are there for you and they listen to lots of students and their worries so it is definitely worth going to them about this. They may also be able to help you with the extension request.

Every University is different in terms of how long it will take to mark things so it's worth asking your university help team or well-being team if they think your papers will be marked in time.

As others have said, getting in contact with the uni disability services is a good idea too as they may be able to support your request for an extension. I'm guessing you have already been in contact with them for extra support throughout your degree, and it is worth asking them for help with this situation.

I hope some of this helps,

Lucy -SHU student ambassador.

Quick Reply