The Student Room Group

Philosophy Utilitarianism question

Hi, Im a bit confused with the issue of what beings to include for the issue of difficulty of calculation for Utilitarianism. (Im doing AQA philosophy A-level) Does this just mean should we should include animals when calculating or something else?
Reply 1
Original post by Jesssnow557
Hi, Im a bit confused with the issue of what beings to include for the issue of difficulty of calculation for Utilitarianism. (Im doing AQA philosophy A-level) Does this just mean should we should include animals when calculating or something else?

Including animals is one of the questions that comes up in calculation but I believe it is resolved through considering whether they are rational beings are not (which they are not). There are other arguments that the claim 'happiness is good' is not the same as saying 'only human happiness is good' so you'll have to double check that. I wish I could tell you off the top of my head but I'm honestly lacking on my utilitarianism knowledge right now as a fellow AQA philosophy student. I hope this has given you a clearer idea of what issues you can bring up in calculation.
Reply 2
Original post by bibachu
Including animals is one of the questions that comes up in calculation but I believe it is resolved through considering whether they are rational beings are not (which they are not). There are other arguments that the claim 'happiness is good' is not the same as saying 'only human happiness is good' so you'll have to double check that. I wish I could tell you off the top of my head but I'm honestly lacking on my utilitarianism knowledge right now as a fellow AQA philosophy student. I hope this has given you a clearer idea of what issues you can bring up in calculation.

Ahhhh right yes that helps a lot thank you! And good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending