The Student Room Group

Ocr a alevel bio

I’m stuck on Bs and Cs and I have a month left. I know all my content and have done lots of exam questions properly but they dont seem to be helping. Is there anything else I can do to boost my grade
Original post by mehhhx1
I’m stuck on Bs and Cs and I have a month left. I know all my content and have done lots of exam questions properly but they dont seem to be helping. Is there anything else I can do to boost my grade

Have you managed to pinpoint where you’re losing marks? E.g. are you misinterpreting the question (I did that a lot, so included more detail to hopefully include the answer they were looking for), are you lacking detail, do you know the question words (like ‘explain’ vs ‘describe’ etc)?
I don’t know where you’re getting these grades from but personally my school had fairly strict grade boundaries for our end of topic/module tests, so I exceeded those grades in the end.
Don’t panic though, A level biology is pretty awful, and B/C is good!
Reply 2
Original post by mehhhx1
Hi, this is what I did to achieve an A* in OCR A biology (I know everyone works differently).

Read a section of the textbook thoroughly (e.g. cell components)

Close the book and write down everything you need to know, e.g. protein synthesis.

Check the textbook, make sure you understand if you did something wrong.

The next day, write down everything you covered the previous day to make sure u remember. If not read the textbook throughly again and repeat the process.

Move onto another section.

After a few weeks of hard revision you should have memorised everything.

Also I would advise reading over the extra little sections because sometimes them sort of questions come up and it’s useful to have extra knowledge beyond the core required stuff, trust me it will be really satisfying as some questions are applying the core knowledge to unseen/ unheard of diagrams or processes. Good luck!!
Reply 3
Original post by Teribblestudent
Have you managed to pinpoint where you’re losing marks? E.g. are you misinterpreting the question (I did that a lot, so included more detail to hopefully include the answer they were looking for), are you lacking detail, do you know the question words (like ‘explain’ vs ‘describe’ etc)?
I don’t know where you’re getting these grades from but personally my school had fairly strict grade boundaries for our end of topic/module tests, so I exceeded those grades in the end.
Don’t panic though, A level biology is pretty awful, and B/C is good!

Thank you! And yes I think thats my problem I loose marks alot for silly little mistakes
Reply 4
Original post by helpm
Hi, this is what I did to achieve an A* in OCR A biology (I know everyone works differently).

Close the book and write down everything you need to know, e.g. protein synthesis.

The next day, write down everything you covered the previous day to make sure u remember. If not read the textbook throughly again and repeat the process.

Also I would advise reading over the extra little sections because sometimes them sort of questions come up and it’s useful to have extra knowledge beyond the core required stuff, trust me it will be really satisfying as some questions are applying the core knowledge to unseen/ unheard of diagrams or processes. Good luck!!

Thank you Oh I didn’t know that about the unseen stuff I will go over those
Reply 5
Original post by mehhhx1
Thank you Oh I didn’t know that about the unseen stuff I will go over those

It’s mostly just like problems that you should know BUT in a different context. Sorry if I didn’t explain that well enough
Reply 6
Original post by helpm
It’s mostly just like problems that you should know BUT in a different context. Sorry if I didn’t explain that well enough

Yh thanks i understand!
Reply 7
Original post by helpm

hey so amazing that you got an A*. when did you start doing past papers? I still have to understand the content for module 6 and with only one month left im not sure how many papers I will be able to get through. I really need an A.
Reply 8
Original post by emm2424
hey so amazing that you got an A*. when did you start doing past papers? I still have to understand the content for module 6 and with only one month left im not sure how many papers I will be able to get through. I really need an A.

Have you been doing Topic Based Q's on PMT and Study Mind?
Reply 9
Original post by A.2KK
Have you been doing Topic Based Q's on PMT and Study Mind?

nope its only been a month since I started revising so I have just been focusing on learning the content.
Original post by emm2424
nope its only been a month since I started revising so I have just been focusing on learning the content.

I think you should do past paper questions alongside the content so you’re getting practice of that too. You can do questions by topic if you’re not ready to do a full paper yet
Original post by Teribblestudent
I think you should do past paper questions alongside the content so you’re getting practice of that too. You can do questions by topic if you’re not ready to do a full paper yet

ok I will start doing some past papers! do you think I should do all the AS ones first and then a2 ones?
Reply 12
Original post by emm2424
ok I will start doing some past papers! do you think I should do all the AS ones first and then a2 ones?

100% (I'm in Yr 13 also aiming at an A hopefully)
-> Go over the content and as soon as your done with the content consolidate it with question packs from PMT or Study Mind , its good to get practice in now and not leave it too late
-> Realistically what you can do if theres no huge gaps in AS knowledge is use AS papers as a tool for reviewing AS content whilst learning A2 Content
Original post by A.2KK
100% (I'm in Yr 13 also aiming at an A hopefully)
-> Go over the content and as soon as your done with the content consolidate it with question packs from PMT or Study Mind , its good to get practice in now and not leave it too late
-> Realistically what you can do if theres no huge gaps in AS knowledge is use AS papers as a tool for reviewing AS content whilst learning A2 Content

ahh thank you for the advice. I'll definitely start doing AS papers from today! hopefully we both get the grade we need :smile:
Original post by mehhhx1

I get exam Q's wrong and go straight back to content as it can be very easy to think we know the content. OCR love showing us the most random example and expect us to apply knowledge. The only thing I can think to do is to go over more content. I use ChatGPT to expand on content I don't get. After that, repeat the exam question using the specific wording they want and go from there
Reply 15
Original post by emm2424
ahh thank you for the advice. I'll definitely start doing AS papers from today! hopefully we both get the grade we need :smile:
Hopefully!
Reply 16
Original post by emm2424

I just did all the past papers after I covered all the content 🙂 and most importantly in time conditions!!! Do all of the questions on PMT for each topic too. And keeep going over stuff you find difficult the first time to drill it into your head. Trust me if you know that textbook inside out you should be on track for A/A* it’s mostly a memory game.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending