The Student Room Group

Architectural Association or Central Saint Martins for architecture ?

Hi there, I am planning to study architecture in London. Right now I have received two offers by the CSM and the AA but I am still torn between both options. If anyone could help me out here, and has some knowledge about the advantages and disadvantages of each university, and could give me an advise I would be very grateful.
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 1
Hi I’m going to csm in September and I preferred the course because it’s more art focused than science/maths focused, so depends what part of studying architecture that you favour. However it is a very busy uni , library and workshop space are apparently very competitive. I don’t know anything about AA sorry!
Reply 2
disclaimer: I have no personal experience with either school, however something to consider is the social life aspect - the AA isn't really a 'university', it's a private school of architecture with a much smaller student body than UAL (of which CSM is a part) - ~800 total students at AA and ~22000 students at UAL. as far as I have been able to find out the AA lacks typical students union type activities like sports clubs and societies (although it does host art based events like exhibitions and drawing classes).

in terms of the courses I believe both AA and CSM are very arts focused, I have read that the AA gives students almost total creative freedom over projects (which may or may not be a good thing) - I would recommend looking at student work to get an idea of what kind of work you might end up producing during the degree.

one last thing - although the AA has many well known alumni like Zaha Hadid, Rem Koolhaas etc I would not set too much store by uni reputation, in architecture portfolio is the most important thing, so pick the school where you think you'll enjoy your time there and thus produce your best work.

hope this helps a bit
Reply 3
Original post by Pedr0
disclaimer: I have no personal experience with either school, however something to consider is the social life aspect - the AA isn't really a 'university', it's a private school of architecture with a much smaller student body than UAL (of which CSM is a part) - ~800 total students at AA and ~22000 students at UAL. as far as I have been able to find out the AA lacks typical students union type activities like sports clubs and societies (although it does host art based events like exhibitions and drawing classes).
in terms of the courses I believe both AA and CSM are very arts focused, I have read that the AA gives students almost total creative freedom over projects (which may or may not be a good thing) - I would recommend looking at student work to get an idea of what kind of work you might end up producing during the degree.
one last thing - although the AA has many well known alumni like Zaha Hadid, Rem Koolhaas etc I would not set too much store by uni reputation, in architecture portfolio is the most important thing, so pick the school where you think you'll enjoy your time there and thus produce your best work.
hope this helps a bit

thank you for your opinion. it actually helps me a little with my decision.

Quick Reply