The Student Room Group

Mathematics in Oxford.

Hi I’m in year 11 in a welsh comprehensive, I just want to know if I have a realistic chance of getting into Oxford to study maths or physics. This is in short what I’ve achieved:
I taught myself and completed GCSE maths and numeracy by the age of 13 and got an A* in both
I taught myself and completed AS maths with an A grade (top grade for AS) when i was 14 years old and got 100% on the pure and applied papers.
I have 12 predicted A* in my gcse subjects and hope to do computer science, physics and further maths in six form in my school.
I also won a gold certificate in uk senior maths challange when I was 15.
I also have many other extra curricular and supra-curricular achievement such as being captain of the school rugby team and Duke of Edinburgh silver award.

Basically, I would really appreciate if I can have some feedback on what kind of realistic chance I have on getting into Oxford. Dont worry about being harsh I just want a genuine answer!
Original post by Anonymous
Hi I’m in year 11 in a welsh comprehensive, I just want to know if I have a realistic chance of getting into Oxford to study maths or physics. This is in short what I’ve achieved:
I taught myself and completed GCSE maths and numeracy by the age of 13 and got an A* in both
I taught myself and completed AS maths with an A grade (top grade for AS) when i was 14 years old and got 100% on the pure and applied papers.
I have 12 predicted A* in my gcse subjects and hope to do computer science, physics and further maths in six form in my school.
I also won a gold certificate in uk senior maths challange when I was 15.
I also have many other extra curricular and supra-curricular achievement such as being captain of the school rugby team and Duke of Edinburgh silver award.
Basically, I would really appreciate if I can have some feedback on what kind of realistic chance I have on getting into Oxford. Dont worry about being harsh I just want a genuine answer!

You definitely have a chance. You should apply and see how it goes.
Good luck. Please bear in mind that academic potential is the key to admission. Supercurriculars may help. Rugby and DoE and so on are irrelevant to Oxford admissions.

As you may be aware, Jesus College has traditional associations with Wales, but you should pick whichever college you wish. If you do obtain an offer, there is about a one in four chance that the offer will come from a college other than the one you applied for.
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 3
What's going to matter, in the main, is how you cope with the MAT test and interviews. These are matters for you to prepare in Year 12. What you've done so far is all fine. Doing well with the A-level material is next, and then in due course (say next summer) extending yourself beyond that with MAT, STEP and similar problems.
Original post by Anonymous
No you have no chance. They only want students that did AS maths at 12 years of age. You were far to old at 14. They also need a minimum of 15 GCSEs, so your 12 just won't cut it.
Your post was a wind-up surely, as someone that has access to the internet and is serious about applying to Oxford can't possibly question if those grades are sufficient? What kind of feedback are you after? Bravo?
??? this post is stupid - I'm gonna break down each of ur comments and debunk them

ppl literally come onto the tsr for Qs and ofc ppl with good academic grades are gonna apply to Oxford so they're gonna ask qs abt the application?? just bc someones got good academic grades does not mean they suddenly know everything about ucas, and op's school might not support them with it. Do you also have the same reply to those with less good grades or are you salty that op is academically gifted???

Also they were clearly things that op didn't know e.g. taking MAT and the interview, so op did get constructive feedback they were looking for.

Also the internet comment is stupid bc tsr is part of the internet op's literally searching the internet for answers. And also just because its on the internet doesn't mean its easy to find / access... esp if you don't know anything about the subject and don't know where to look.

Original post by toothysmile
??? this post is stupid - I'm gonna break down each of ur comments and debunk them

ppl literally come onto the tsr for Qs and ofc ppl with good academic grades are gonna apply to Oxford so they're gonna ask qs abt the application?? just bc someones got good academic grades does not mean they suddenly know everything about ucas, and op's school might not support them with it. Do you also have the same reply to those with less good grades or are you salty that op is academically gifted???

Also they were clearly things that op didn't know e.g. taking MAT and the interview, so op did get constructive feedback they were looking for.

Also the internet comment is stupid bc tsr is part of the internet op's literally searching the internet for answers. And also just because its on the internet doesn't mean its easy to find / access... esp if you don't know anything about the subject and don't know where to look.

🤣🤣🤣💀

i think you’re taking it too seriously m8, and it’s not like OP was asking for help with the application process in the first place. OP just posted a bunch of their achievements and asked if it’s realistically gonna get em to oxford maths. which, obviously, isn’t for us to say and some people are inevitably gonna interpret it as just someone bragging their ass off (which is normal both that there exists someone bragging or that there is someone to misinterpret any intention to be so on the internet but whatever). better to just have a laugh

Quick Reply