Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I was speaking to a mate and he heard I used to go to a British-passport only school when I lived abroad, he's Irish and he said that was really racist and unfair, I said it wasn't racist as the only thing that mattered was whether you had a UK passport or not and not your ethnicity but he said still it was racist.
    Is he right or am I right? I mean it *was* a National Curriculum school after all :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    no its not racist.

passports arent given out based on the colour of your skin.

your mate is an idiot

ReputationRep:
    you are right and he's an idiot.
    nationality and race are not the same

ReputationRep:
    Passports are given based on citizenship, not ethnicity.

ReputationRep:
    He said it was racist on the fact that if he applied he would be rejected without them even glancing at his application and I would be accepted or at least considered coz I have a British passport. Well he is right about that, I mean everyone knows about the uk-passport only rule. Do you think the rule is fair or not though?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ramroff)
    I was speaking to a mate and he heard I used to go to a British-passport only school when I lived abroad, he's Irish and he said that was really racist and unfair, I said it wasn't racist as the only thing that mattered was whether you had a UK passport or not and not your ethnicity but he said still it was racist.
    Is he right or am I right? I mean it *was* a National Curriculum school after all :rolleyes:
    Its not racist as such. But its still a concept I have very little time for.

ReputationRep:
    He said it was racist on the fact that if he applied he would be rejected without them even glancing at his application and I would be accepted or at least considered coz I have a British passport. Well he is right about that, I mean everyone knows about the uk-passport only rule. Do you think the rule is fair or not though?
    would a northen irsish passport be considered britsh?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trigger)
    would a northen irsish passport be considered britsh?
    theres no such thing as a northern irish passport.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by technik)
    theres no such thing as a northern irish passport.
    well i would bloody know!! so its all considered british

ReputationRep:
    well i would bloody know!! so its all considered british
    same as you cant get an english passport.

all british citizens.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingslaw)
    Its not racist as such. But its still a concept I have very little time for.
    what do you mean "very little time for" ?

ReputationRep:
    what do you mean "very little time for" ?
    I mean its a pretty lousy policy. Its not racist, but it reflects and fuels xenophobia, which is just as bad as racism, if not worse.

ReputationRep:
    But the school wasn't a very xenophobic school or anything, so surely it wasn't that bad ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by technik)
    same as you cant get an english passport.

all british citizens.
    oh so if you live in s ireland youd have a southern irish passport? sorry im as dense as a very dense thing

ReputationRep:
    oh so if you live in s ireland youd have a southern irish passport? sorry im as dense as a very dense thing
    yes.. and if you are from south england or north england you can get south english and north english passports

londoners have a London Passport as well, but some people prefer to go for the standard British passport, in other words you can get customised versions. But when you go to live abroad they only accept British passports

ReputationRep:
    But the school wasn't a very xenophobic school or anything, so surely it wasn't that bad ?
    The school was xenophobic by the fact that it only admitted kids with British passports. I can see no useful policy ends such a criteria could meet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingslaw)
    The school was xenophobic by the fact that it only admitted kids with British passports. I can see no useful policy ends such a criteria could meet.

Well for one it avoided the need to bother about 2nd language english classes for those that did not speak english as a first language (this was in a non english speaking country)

ReputationRep:
    the republic of ireland is its own nation...it has its own irish passport...

the uk (england, scotland, wales, northern ireland) has a british passport.

wheres the difficulty?

ReputationRep:
    Well for one it avoided the need to bother about 2nd language english classes for those that did not speak english as a first language (this was in a non english speaking country)
    Oh right. I didn't know this was a non-English speaking country. I just thought this was some sort of UK private school.

Still, the best way to avoid the problems of multilingual classes would be to have english speaking tests on admission.

ReputationRep:
    yes.. and if you are from south england or north england you can get south english and north english passports

londoners have a London Passport as well, but some people prefer to go for the standard British passport, in other words you can get customised versions. But when you go to live abroad they only accept British passports
    well excuse me for asking a question no wonder people are too scared to ask questions in here :mad:

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 8, 2005
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.