British Passport-Only Schools Aren't Racist Watch

This discussion is closed.
roff
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
(Original post by kingslaw)
Oh right. I didn't know this was a non-English speaking country. I just thought this was some sort of UK private school.

Still, the best way to avoid the problems of multilingual classes would be to have english speaking tests on admission.
Well it wasn't just a school thing anyway, the best jobs were reserved for British passport holders and so on, they still do it now and it is a modern place too. shame
SamTheMan
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by ramroff)
I was speaking to a mate and he heard I used to go to a British-passport only school when I lived abroad, he's Irish and he said that was really racist and unfair, I said it wasn't racist as the only thing that mattered was whether you had a UK passport or not and not your ethnicity but he said still it was racist.
Is he right or am I right? I mean it *was* a National Curriculum school after all :rolleyes:
Right. PC at its best. Of course it's not racist. The fact that he's Irish (Republic I'm assuming) probably has nothing to do with it :rolleyes:
You're right it's not based on ethnicity so there's nothing racist about it. I've never heard of these British-only schools but there must be political reasons why only British nationals get in.

I mean, there are Jewish, Chinese schools in London. Noone ever bothers saying that they're racist.

Tell your Irish friend to get over his frustration.
SamTheMan
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
He said it was racist on the fact that if he applied he would be rejected without them even glancing at his application and I would be accepted or at least considered coz I have a British passport. Well he is right about that, I mean everyone knows about the uk-passport only rule. Do you think the rule is fair or not though?
That's the whole frustration that Irish people (of the Republic of Ireland) have now. They're no longer British and for some weird reason, it's the Brits' fault.
roff
Rep:
?
(Original post by SamTheMan)
Right. PC at its best. Of course it's not racist. The fact that he's Irish (Republic I'm assuming) probably has nothing to do with it :rolleyes:
You're right it's not based on ethnicity so there's nothing racist about it. I've never heard of these British-only schools but there must be political reasons why only British nationals get in.

I mean, there are Jewish, Chinese schools in London. Noone ever bothers saying that they're racist.

Tell your Irish friend to get over his frustration.
I told him to go and eat a potato :p:
No it's not a political reason, the school just set the rule, and loads of other schools did it as well, they still do it now
SamTheMan
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I told him to go and eat a potato :p:
No it's not a political reason, the school just set the rule, and loads of other schools did it as well, they still do it now
Now that's a bit nasty :rolleyes:

Are you sure it's not for political reasons? You mentioned that it wasn't a private school so it was clearly being funded somehow. The country where you were living clearly wouldn't fund such a school.
Just as the British government doesn't fund the French High School, le Lycée Charles de Gaulle in Kensington.
roff
Rep:
?
(Original post by SamTheMan)
Now that's a bit nasty :rolleyes:

Are you sure it's not for political reasons? You mentioned that it wasn't a private school so it was clearly being funded somehow. The country where you were living clearly wouldn't fund such a school.
Just as the British government doesn't fund the French High School, le Lycée Charles de Gaulle in Kensington.
I dunno where I said that, but it WAS a private school, it was partially owned by the government but they approved the passport rule and everything. They received a percentage of the school fees even though it was a non-profit school
SamTheMan
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I dunno where I said that, but it WAS a private school, it was partially owned by the government but they approved the passport rule and everything. They received a percentage of the school fees even though it was a non-profit school
I think you should check how the school was funded. The government wouldn't receive funds from the students. Or maybe that is the only reason why such a system would be allowed to exist. The students pay the government which in return funds these schools too.
But there's no country in the world where the money goes from the students to the government. In the end, it's always the students that receive the money. Even the money that we Uni students pay, and even when top-up fees will be introduced, that money represents a tiny fraction of what our studies cost. The government pays the rest (funded indirectly through tax).
roff
Rep:
?
Sorry I really should make myself a bit clearer. Let me reword it. Most(almost all) of the private schools were owned by a wealthy person from that country, that person usually was someone high up in the government. They would own 51% of the school because something can only be 49% foreign owned, so they should receive 49% of the money, but in reality 'agreements' can be made so the money is paid to the 'government' but he uses his channels to take the money himself
kellywood_5
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I find the idea of having a school just for British citizens a bit strange, but it's definitely not racist. Afetr all, we can have Catholic-only schools, Muslim-only schools etc, why aren't they considered racist?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (23)
6.82%
They might tell the bully (33)
9.79%
I don't think they'd understand (51)
15.13%
It might lead to more bullying (128)
37.98%
There's nothing they could do (102)
30.27%

Watched Threads