The Student Room Group

Do gcses really matter for oxbridge?

I heard that many people with 9’s in every subject for gcses and A*s in A level dont even get in😭 how is this possible and do the entrance exams matter more than the actual grades
Varies depending on course and which uni it is. Generally Oxford is somewhat more GCSE focused than Cambridge, although both consider them in context. Some courses at Oxford are very GCSE heavy though (e.g. medicine where the average successful applicant has more than 10 A* equivalents at GCSE (8/9 grades), while others are less focused on them (e.g. physics, maths, CS, where they aren't the biggest factor). There is probably similar variation at Cambridge but they seem to use them in a less structured manner in shortlisting.
Reply 2
I got a Cambridge interview with 776666665, depends if youre from a state school or not
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 3
Cambridge is supposedly quite holistic with admissions! They consider many aspects of the applications (admissions test, personal statement, contextual, gcses, predicted, etc) when making a decision, so gcses might not always be the dealbreaker, although they probably look highly on a strong academic record.
Reply 4
Original post by amemiya
I got a Cambridge interview with 776666665, depends if youre from a state school or not

Oh fr? What did u apply for
Reply 5
Original post by anonymousakhi
Oh fr? What did u apply for

english lit
Reply 6
Original post by amemiya
english lit

Did u get in?
GCSE and A-Level grades can only tell so much and are not a perfect indicator of how well you'll do at university. Cambridge (and assumedly Oxford) use a holistic approach. It's also important to consider that the school you went to and the privileges you were or were not given can also massively impact your success.

Quick Reply