The Student Room Group

Is English a good degree?

I'm thinking of choosing to study English at uni but there don't seem to be many opportunities linked to it after graduating and I'm kind of worried. I've heard that a lot of english graduates go into teaching and while I'm not completely opposed to that it's not something I especially want to do. Are there any other options related to English or would I be better off taking a different degree? My skill is in essay based subjects so other options I've been considering are Sociology and Law, but English is a subject I've been good at since I was in primary school which is why I'm considering it.
Hi,
Do you enjoy studying English? I would recommend that you are interested and enjoy that subject area for your degree, instead of just focusing on what your good at. As you will find your time at university a lot more enjoyable and easier, if you have genuine interest in your degree. Of course being good at the subject area, definitely helps but i also think when you generally enjoy a subject, you will be even more successful as you also be getting enjoyment out it.

In regards to career prospects, while a lot of students with a English degree do go into teaching, equally a lot of graduates do go on to do various jobs. This is a link to the Complete University Guide website, which shows different types of careers you can go to do with a English degree Careers with an English degree (thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk).

Have you got a idea of what type of job you would like in the future? If not i would recommend you speak to the careers team at your school/college, as they will help support you with figuring out what sort of degree may be the most beneficial for a potential career . This is also a very good website that helps when figuring out what type of career is best suited to you Explore careers | National Careers Service

Good luck
Suzan - Student Ambassador
I think if you love English and are good at it then go for it. If you like reading and writing then English will be for you. Be mindful that you'll be given extensive reading lists, so be sure to keep up-together with every single book you are required to read, otherwise you'll likely fall behind. Are you thinking of doing a particular kind of English like English Literature or English Language, or are you thinking of doing a joint-honours degree? There are many avenues someone with an English degree can pursue, it depends what you want to do and whether it lines up well with the subject.

I graduated with a top degree in Film and English and now I write for a smattering of websites on a freelance basis.
Reply 3
Harsh but true - A Humanity degree wont get you a job as easy as a STEM degree would
Reply 4
A few years ago now but I did English at university. I loved the subject then and still do. I think it's a mistake to judge it by narrow jobs prospects. Yes, a few English graduates will become teachers. Some actors. Advertising. Film industry. Journalism. Almost anything. I myself work as a writer for television and have had a rich and exciting career - and got paid a few quid along the line, too! My advice would be if you love it, do it, and let the career take care of itself.
Original post by p.1.2
Harsh but true - A Humanity degree wont get you a job as easy as a STEM degree would

This is a myth.
Reply 6
Original post by Stiffy Byng
This is a myth.

Lol. Search up the degrees of top businessmen - most of them will have STEM degrees. But who cares, do as you please.

Spoiler

Original post by p.1.2
Lol. Search up the degrees of top businessmen - most of them will have STEM degrees. But who cares, do as you please.

Spoiler

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/14740222231156893

https://standout-cv.com/uk-graduate-statistics#degree-unemployment

https://standout-cv.com/uk-graduate-statistics
(edited 1 week ago)
Reply 8
Graduate outcomes, by degree subject and university - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
... Not an article but real data from the government site 😀
Screenshot 2024-05-15 at 19.58.47.png

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending