The Student Room Group

What advice would you give to a year 12?

Next year, I will be starting yr 12 and my a levels so I just want to ask the yr 13s what are some tips would you give to a yr 12 in terms of revision and a levels and stuff like that? What are some things that perhaps you think wouldve been useful to know when you started yr 12?
Hit the ground running - work from day one. Don't just think you can mess around in the first term and it won't matter, it will because you won't 'catch up later'.

And 'free periods' are not free - they are there for focussed independent study, and there is a direct connection between how you use them and your eventual predicted grades for Uni.
Original post by anonymous7070
Next year, I will be starting yr 12 and my a levels so I just want to ask the yr 13s what are some tips would you give to a yr 12 in terms of revision and a levels and stuff like that? What are some things that perhaps you think wouldve been useful to know when you started yr 12?

start revising early, my biggest regret now a levels are approaching, i gave myself just 6 weeks to revise thinking oh all will be fine! but it isn’t, get that knowledge in from the start even if it’s just a few hours each week, building up more as a levels approach.

Hi Anonymous!

Past papers:
There are some really great points on this thread but for me, I wish I had known how valuable past papers are! Active recall is such a great way to revise and I wish I had known this earlier!

Free periods:
As someone else said, use your free periods wisely and this will help with your time management!

I hope these tips help,

Rebecca, UCLan
Reply 4
Make flash cards after the end of each week it’ll save you so much time later on. Also don’t try to pick subjects that make you look smart if there’s an easy way take it.

revise consistently throughout the year!! will be very helpful when mocks come around :smile:
Reply 6

I'm currently in Year 12 and my best advice is to consolidate your knowledge early on (especially for heavy content subjects). I study psychology, philosophy and politics and I can safely say, the thing that's saved me while preparing for my end of year mocks is making sure my knowledge is up to date and doing regular revision. Staggering your revision is far more effective than cramming and doing intensive last minute revision. Over the summer, I would try to figure out which revision methods work best for you (if you haven't already) and look over the specifications for your chosen subjects. Psychology is my most content-heavy subject and looking over the specification early on definitely helped me to organise my revision hours for it. I wouldn't burn yourself out at the beginning, especially if you are moving to a brand new environment (e.g. different sixth form or starting college), but by December, you should have knuckled down and gotten into the habit of revising. Try not to let anything to distract you from your studies, whether that be disruption in your personal life or things to do with school. Don't rely on teachers to teach you all the content - you'll have to start getting used to independent study. I probably shouldn't encourage this one, but if the homework isn't necessary and won't benefit you in any way, don't do it. I have a teacher who likes to burden us with lengthy homework tasks and gives us 3 weeks to complete them, but he never checks them and I personally don't benefit from any of the tasks he sets, because his methods of revision don't actually help my learning. Instead, I do what I need to do for my grade. Get on your teachers' good side, as they are the ones who will produce your references and determine your predicted grades (I don't mean sucking up to them, just don't be an unlikeable student). Participate in lessons when you can and try not to cause disruption. Go to your teachers for help when you are struggling - I cannot emphasise this one enough! Don't underestimate A levels, but don't be afraid of them. They are hard, but doable so long as you have a good work ethic.

If you have any more questions I'd be more than happy to answer them :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending