The Student Room Group

Why don't guys like me?

I recently attended my first prom and overall it was a good night, but there was one guy who made me feel bad about myself. He asked me to dance, which was nice, but then he told me that he only asked me out of politeness and the only compliment he gave me was that I had good rhythm. Although he asked me to dance twice later that night, he was the only guy who danced with me that night.
Reply 1
Ignore, move on. Seems like the end of the world now but I can almost guarantee you'll get some form of attention from men in future, unless you're Gorlock - Devourer of Worlds.

Matey in question is either incredibly sh** at flirting or is playing with you - likelier the former at 15/16/17. Try not to gauge the "success" of your prom night based on interactions with the opposite sex, instead think about the positive aspects. Did you go with friends? Did you have a laugh? Was it memorable? you mentioned that "overall it was a good night" so don't sweat it.
Original post by Anonymous
I recently attended my first prom and overall it was a good night, but there was one guy who made me feel bad about myself. He asked me to dance, which was nice, but then he told me that he only asked me out of politeness and the only compliment he gave me was that I had good rhythm. Although he asked me to dance twice later that night, he was the only guy who danced with me that night.

glad you had a good night! hey you got to dance and as long as you had a good time i don't see any problem. teenage boys switch up so quickly, don't take it to heart. they either try and hide how they truly feel behind jokes or genuinley just a weird guy. you will meet the right person when it's meant to be. relax :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Anon2463
Ignore, move on. Seems like the end of the world now but I can almost guarantee you'll get some form of attention from men in future, unless you're Gorlock - Devourer of Worlds.
Matey in question is either incredibly sh** at flirting or is playing with you - likelier the former at 15/16/17. Try not to gauge the "success" of your prom night based on interactions with the opposite sex, instead think about the positive aspects. Did you go with friends? Did you have a laugh? Was it memorable? you mentioned that "overall it was a good night" so don't sweat it.

I didn't have friends to go with but I did laugh a lot the whole night the DJ played some interesting songs like Sofia the first but overall it was a great night. I just have never had any luck when it comes to dating guys, I have had 3 previous relationships but not one of the guys has ever taken me out on my first date so now I have made a rule before I get into an actual relationship with any guy he has to take me out on a date.
Reply 4
I didn't have friends to go with but I did laugh a lot the whole night the DJ played some interesting songs like Sofia the first but overall it was a great night. I just have never had any luck when it comes to dating guys, I have had 3 previous relationships but not one of the guys has ever taken me out on my first date so now I have made a rule before I get into an actual relationship with any guy he has to take me out on a date.

How do you get into a relationship without dating? Seriously? Don't you get to really know people first?
Reply 5
Original post by Surnia
How do you get into a relationship without dating? Seriously? Don't you get to really know people first?

I did get to know them first and they all were nice and sweet but every time I talked about wanting to go out on my first date with any of the guys the idea was shot down which is why I ended the relationship.

guys are weird and rude and immature at that age. ignore him. it’s a *him* problem rather than a you problem. he probably felt insecure so wanted to make you feel bad too

glad your night was still good though 🩷
Reply 7
Original post by Surnia

OP sounds incredibly young to me - mentioned prom so I'm guessing 15 or 16. It's not "real" dating at that point is it... at best probably a trip down to the local maccies every other Saturday and more likely than not it'll be holding hands at school or kissing a bit.

Either way, doubt they'd have the time/funds/freedom and have met age requirements to really get into the dating scene.
Reply 8
Maybe he was using Mystery's negging technique to attract you because he actually likes you, but he didn't do it well if he didn't follow up to keep the interaction going.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending