The Student Room Group

Doing second year animation, feel like I'm going to fail and feel worthless already..

Hi so I'm doing a part time animation course and am in the second year (first half) studying at the University of Bedfordshire. I've got a deadline tomorrow morning and most of my stuff is incomplete, rough and rushed and I'll probably most likely fail the first time

I feel so stupid and regret choosing to do this course, I've already got a bad habit of messing up time management and don't have high expectations of myself at all instead I've always hated myself since I was younger.

I failed my GCSEs, only getting two (English and Child Dev), barely passed college then spent the next 3 years feeling like a failure since I couldn't get a job successfully and still can't

I foolishly thought I could handle Uni but now I realise I'm so wrong. I think I can resit this unit/module but I'm terrified to tell my parents I've failed the first time and have to resit. I'm able to get mitigating circumstances through my advisor I think or that's what she said

I just hate myself, all I'm good at is overthinking constantly, feeling like I'm screwed up and something will go wrong by me.

I've done SH before and am tempted to do it again just to punish myself for making mistakes and dissapointing my parents and everybody else I've come across especially my animation lecturer.

I was interested in Animation at first but eventually that feeling faded and I was left feeling empty and directionless when I came back for the second semester

I'm doing part time yet still managed to mess up not to mention if I SH again and my parents found out, they'll send me for sectioning at a psych ward or something which I don't want but at the time I don't know what else to do at all
(edited 2 months ago)
I know it seems hard, but maybe talk to the university about how you’re feeling and see if they can extend deadlines? I think having a degree is very valuable since you don’t have many GCSE’s, which are needed for even McDonald’s if you haven’t got any higher qualifications.

Why not do a course you have more ambition and excitement for in september? I’d stay at the same uni though as they’ll know you now.

If you get a degree, even if it’s a 2,2, you still can go into becoming management at Lidl or find a marketing job, which accept animation degrees.
Original post by Animatosupremo
Hi so I'm doing a part time animation course and am in the second year (first half) studying at the University of Bedfordshire. I've got a deadline tomorrow morning and most of my stuff is incomplete, rough and rushed and I'll probably most likely fail the first time
I feel so stupid and regret choosing to do this course, I've already got a bad habit of messing up time management and don't have high expectations of myself at all instead I've always hated myself since I was younger.
I failed my GCSEs, only getting two (English and Child Dev), barely passed college then spent the next 3 years feeling like a failure since I couldn't get a job successfully and still can't
I foolishly thought I could handle Uni but now I realise I'm so wrong. I think I can resit this unit/module but I'm terrified to tell my parents I've failed the first time and have to resit. I'm able to get mitigating circumstances through my advisor I think or that's what she said
I just hate myself, all I'm good at is overthinking constantly, feeling like I'm screwed up and something will go wrong by me.
I've done SH before and am tempted to do it again just to punish myself for making mistakes and dissapointing my parents and everybody else I've come across especially my animation lecturer.
I was interested in Animation at first but eventually that feeling faded and I was left feeling empty and directionless when I came back for the second semester
I'm doing part time yet still managed to mess up not to mention if I SH again and my parents found out, they'll send me for sectioning at a psych ward or something which I don't want but at the time I don't know what else to do at all

Hi there @Animatosupremo , I am so sorry to hear your frustration and understand how defeating it may feel with looming deadlines. If you have a personal tutor, I highly recommend having a 1-on-1 session to discuss your struggles with the course and possibly apply for any mitigating circumstances or extensions you may be applicable for!
This will greatly ease the stress and give you more time to properly take on the projects once you are in the right frame of mind. I have had a couple of friends who decided to leave the course after their foundation and first year as it was too stressful and simply not a right fit for them.
Alternatively, if applicable, seek out the well being support at your university to check if they can offer any support for your time at university. Wishing you all the best for the year ahead.

Zhi En
(Kingston Student Rep.)
Original post by Animatosupremo

Hi there,

I'm sorry you have been going through this, it sounds like you have been having a tough time.

As others have said, I would definitely look into having a meeting with your academic advisor/personal tutor if you have one of these as they are there to help you and if you schedule a meeting with them and talk them through how you ate feeling, they may be able to put a plan in place with you to help you with this.They may also be able help you to get an extension if you need it to complete some of your work.

Talking to your module tutors is also a good idea as they can help you if you are struggling with certain parts of your work. They are there to help you and I have found most tutors to be really helpful if you need it so make sure you talk to them if you need things clarifying or if you need help with your work in general.

It's also a good idea to talk to your university wellbeing team. They will be there for you if you need someone to talk to and they can help you with some things that you are going through. It's worth talking to them and keeping in contact with the as they can be really helpful, and can also help you with extensions if you need them in the future as they will know you by this point.

I would also recommend talking to friends and family about how you feel. It can be hard but it s good to talk about how you are feeling and it might help you. They also know you the best out of everyone and they might be able to help you come up with a plan of how to stay on to of work at uni and how to make sure you are doing okay.

Whoever you choose to talk to, it's a good idea to keep talking to them throughout the years you have left at uni. It's good to have people you know you can talk to and go to if you need to, so make sure you keep reaching out if you need the help.

I hope this helps,

Lucy -SHU student ambassador.
Original post by greentiger
I know it seems hard, but maybe talk to the university about how you’re feeling and see if they can extend deadlines? I think having a degree is very valuable since you don’t have many GCSE’s, which are needed for even McDonald’s if you haven’t got any higher qualifications.
Why not do a course you have more ambition and excitement for in september? I’d stay at the same uni though as they’ll know you now.
If you get a degree, even if it’s a 2,2, you still can go into becoming management at Lidl or find a marketing job, which accept animation degrees.

Sorry for the late reply I've been dealing with bad health
Yeah, I'm not too sure about changing degrees tbh.

Funny thing my results came back today and I got a B- (62%) and my anxiety, OCD, and depression has been really bad leading to me to feeling this way and I've finally receiving treatment in the form of counselling and medication so that should help hopefully lol

I guess I'm just basically coasting in Uni and need to figure out how to try a little harder and get at least 70% otherwise I'll get a 2:2 which wouldn't be great in the end. So I guess I need to work on my time management and stop stressing with deadlines and figure out how to manage them
(edited 2 months ago)

Quick Reply