The Student Room Group
Students outside, University of Hertfordshire
University of Hertfordshire
Hatfield
Visit website

Revision Tips From Herts

Hey all! With exam season approaching, we think it would be great to give students some tips on how to revise and/or prepare for assessments.

Having been a student at Herts from 2020 2023, I might be able to give you a nice insight.

Set clear and achievable objectives: Before diving into your revision session, take a moment to set clear objectives. What do you want to accomplish during this time? Break down your subjects or topics into manageable chunks and set specific goals for each session.

Organize your time: Choose a suitable time to study when you know you'll be most focused and alert. Whether it's early morning or late at night, find what works best for you and stick to it. Set a schedule and allocate specific time slots for each subject or topic, and leave yourself some time to take breaks!

No distractions: It’s so easy to get distracted nowadays with endless entertainment in our pockets. Find a quiet and comfortable space where you can concentrate without interruptions (for me it had to be the library). Put away your phone, turn off notifications, and minimize any other distractions. Creating the right environment is key to maintaining focus during your revision sessions. For some people, listening to music while studying helps for me it was a little too overstimulating! I preferred silence.

Gather your resources: Make sure you have all the necessary materials and resources at hand before you begin. This could include textbooks, notes, lesson slides and any other relevant materials. Having everything you need within reach will help you stay on track and avoid unnecessary interruptions.

Break it down: Break your revision sessions into manageable chunks to prevent exhaustion. Focus on one topic or subject at a time and set realistic goals for what you want to achieve during each session. Taking breaks between sessions can also help improve retention and prevent burnout.

Break time: When I take breaks, I like to get away from my study area and switch off for 30 minutes. When I was at Uni I would take this time to walk around, hang out with my flatmates or spend time with my family. Just don’t do something that will distract you from the rest of your study plan after your break ends!

Practice makes perfect: Practice is key to mastering any subject. Whether it's solving practice problems, taking practice exams, or doing sample questions, make sure to incorporate plenty of practice into your revision routine. This will help you identify areas where you need more work and build confidence in your abilities.

Review: At the end of each revision session, take some time to review what you've learned and reflect on your progress. What did you accomplish during this session? What areas do you still need to work on? Use this reflection time to adjust your study plan as needed and set goals for your next session.

Ask for help if you need it: Teachers should always support students with open arms. They probably won’t give you the answers to the exam but they will be able to remind you what to focus on and how to get there! Exchange notes with friends or teach them something and get your family to quiz you.

Stay positive and persistent: Finally, remember to stay positive and persistent throughout your revision journey. Celebrate your progress along the way, and don't be too hard on yourself if you encounter challenges. With perseverance and dedication, you can achieve your revision goals.

Moving away from the revision schedule I just want to reiterate how important the external factors are when it comes to your studies. Make sure you’re not isolating yourself as you begin to revise. Get some sunlight, touch some grass and get some exercise in if you can! These don’t just benefit your body, but your mind too. Do the things you enjoy just as you would if it wasn’t exam season, just manage your time accordingly.

Really hope this helps, it certainly helped me! There is no one size fits all to revision, that’s why its super important to find what works for you. Use this, and your own understanding/environment to make a revision plan that will get you the grades you desire. We’re wishing you the best of luck!

Juan
University of Hertfordshire
Marketing
(edited 1 month ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending