The Student Room Group

Bereavement and deadlines

Hi all

I lost my nan who was basically my mother. Funeral was the end of March, I applied for extensions on assignments (2 in total) due the end of March due to bereavement and they got moved forward to mid and late April.

My dissertation is due May 1st. This has been a horrendous time for me. One of my ‘late’ assignments. I got back - I received a much lower mark than usual. No surprise, I’ve been very sad.

My question is - do you think it’s awful of me to apply for an extension for my dissertation as well? We won’t know if it’s been approved until after exams, but with having to complete the two last assignments in April. Plus dealing with losing her. I fell massively behind, I love my course but I just haven’t been in the right mind the last two months. I’m scared using bereavement for a third time, the board will tell me to get over it. It’s been a month since the funeral.

This dissertation is worth a lot. But I’m not going to finish, not to a decent standard in time. Has anyone got advice?
Hello,

I am so sorry to hear what you've been through this semester. That is awful, and I am sorry that you have been feeling pressured by uni during such a hard time. You are most important first and foremost, uni can come second.

I would recommend applying for mitigating circumstances for the whole semester as this is a massive event in your life which is continually effecting your studies. It would be beneficial to at least try and apply to help make the dissertation slightly less stressful. If they reject it, at least you gave it a try, although I definitely think you are eligible for MCs. As you are in your final year too the uni should want to support you even more as the dissertation is worth a lot.

I would also recommend getting in touch with your uni wellbeing services, if you haven't already. They will also be able to support you and your MC application if you decide to go ahead with it.

I really hope things get better for you. Take your time and look after yourself.

Lucy
Reply 2
Original post by Heriot-Watt Uni
Hello,
I am so sorry to hear what you've been through this semester. That is awful, and I am sorry that you have been feeling pressured by uni during such a hard time. You are most important first and foremost, uni can come second.
I would recommend applying for mitigating circumstances for the whole semester as this is a massive event in your life which is continually effecting your studies. It would be beneficial to at least try and apply to help make the dissertation slightly less stressful. If they reject it, at least you gave it a try, although I definitely think you are eligible for MCs. As you are in your final year too the uni should want to support you even more as the dissertation is worth a lot.
I would also recommend getting in touch with your uni wellbeing services, if you haven't already. They will also be able to support you and your MC application if you decide to go ahead with it.
I really hope things get better for you. Take your time and look after yourself.
Lucy

Thank you I’ve already spoken to him. Well, he pulled me to be honest because my attendance massively fell. He’s told me to apply for it. My anxiety is that it’s the same reason now for three pieces of work due between March- May 1st. So across two months. I know bereavement is subjective, but imagine if they reject it? Gosh. Im a mature student too. Feel awful for not pulling my socks up. But it’s been so sad for me. I’m so nervous. Such a shame to my final year I just can’t believe it.
Original post by Jpcg91
Hi all
I lost my nan who was basically my mother. Funeral was the end of March, I applied for extensions on assignments (2 in total) due the end of March due to bereavement and they got moved forward to mid and late April.
My dissertation is due May 1st. This has been a horrendous time for me. One of my ‘late’ assignments. I got back - I received a much lower mark than usual. No surprise, I’ve been very sad.
My question is - do you think it’s awful of me to apply for an extension for my dissertation as well? We won’t know if it’s been approved until after exams, but with having to complete the two last assignments in April. Plus dealing with losing her. I fell massively behind, I love my course but I just haven’t been in the right mind the last two months. I’m scared using bereavement for a third time, the board will tell me to get over it. It’s been a month since the funeral.
This dissertation is worth a lot. But I’m not going to finish, not to a decent standard in time. Has anyone got advice?

HI there,

I'm really sorry to hear you have been going through this. It sounds like it has been a really tough time for you.

I would also agree that it may be worth applying for an extension as this is a big event so it is likely that they will accept this for you. It's worth a try as you want to be able to do as well as you can do and if this will help you to do that then it is worth at least trying.

I would also talk to your personal tutor if you have one of these as they will be there for you in a situation like this and you can talk to them about how you are feeling and they may be able to help you and put something in place to help you get through the last bit of the year. They may also be able to advise you on what steps to take next and what to do about applying for an extension. They are usually happy to help and schedule a meeting with you to discuss this with you as this is what they are here for.

it's also worth talking to your university wellbeing team. This is a team that will be there for you in situations like this so I would get in contact with them and you can talk about your situation and they can be there for you with this. It's worth keeping in contact with them too and having meetings with them regularly as they are the ones who can help you in situations like this.

I would apply for the extension and try and focus as best you can on your exams. You could always talk to your uni help team and see if they think it will get approved too as this may give you peace of mind.

I hope some of this helps and things start to get a bit better soon.

Lucy -SHU student ambassador.

Quick Reply