The Student Room Group

english gcse help??

i literally do not know how to revise lit and lang properly. i usually got a mix of 6s 7s or 8s when i did mocks but i'd like to really be at 7s 8s 9s. HELP
Reply 1
Original post by evsurfer
i literally do not know how to revise lit and lang properly. i usually got a mix of 6s 7s or 8s when i did mocks but i'd like to really be at 7s 8s 9s. HELP
for lit u mainly just need 2 or 3 quotes for each theme of your texts and make sure your different and perceptive in your responses
for lang just makes sure you've got your sophisticated vocab and punctuation
Reply 2
Original post by evsurfer

AIGHT OKAY. so when revising for eng lit and lang this year our lit papers are quite literally a day before a weekend which is great so that means for your poem analysis if you're good at cramming you can do the night before. I only recommend this if you are like me and forget the whole symbolism of each poem and all that kinda stuff. Anyways for eng lang the top marks are often when you hit smth bout sound in your question 4. Ofc you have to do well in explaining it but it secures you a level 5 immediantly. SO when looking out for harsh verbs like thrashed, bashed cluttered you can first state a semantic field then its effects. Then go on to say something like "Furthermore the soundscape has collated harsh sounds through the writers use of assonace where we hear hard "t" and "c" sounds which therefore embellish the ideas of..... being vigourous, relentless and therfore...

For something like idk question 2) the siple way to get full marks is along the lines of just doing

The writer uses...... to represent/outline....
The verb/adverb ect "...." has connotations of ....
which could symbolise.... but at a deeper level could symbolise....
this therefore cause the reader to sympathise as we worry for the future... (dont use worry for the future but adapt it to your answer).

then do this for another paragraph and you're done.

Question 3)
mostly just gonna be about strucutre.
try looking at an insert and marking up the text
L for lanuage on the left
S for structure on the right.
when thinking about structure talk about what we are being zoomed in an out of and your main questions that you can write above it "who, what, when where why?" to try help you summarise the bits youve read in microwords.
always talk about beginning. middle and then end.

the beginning (if it has a long sentence and a running theme of missing someone for example)
you can talk about the symbolism of this use of structure. (so like for the example I gave you can talk about how the long sentences slow the pace of the story down symbollic to reflect the yearning of a dear one and how time slows down)

middle is always the hardest to talk about but this is where the biggest shift in the story occurs so you probably wanna talk about a shift in setting or climax point.
Talk about why the writer has zoomed us out/ in to introduce this setting first.
(in the example I gave it could be that you zoom out from the person's inner thoughts to the outer setting. Why? Because it may be a way to draw upon the irony of the situation as the person perhaps feels empty without the person they are longing for but in reality they are disillusioned and the setting they live in is actually filled with lots of people that they can talk to about their feelings.
the reader might start to dislike or feel fustrated with the characters harmatia of egocentricism and lack of awareness)

the end if on a cliffhanger is mainly all about suspense. I know for sure it gets super hard when there is no cliffhanger but often there is where you can talk about suspense and the readers being on edge. However, taking the example that there is no cliffhanger we can think of setence structure instead for example if it is similar to the beginning or if the change in pace or tone is refelctive of what is going on and suggestive of the characters forseeable actions.
depending on what this is you can still use "leaves the readers on edge"
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by :) Vya.
AIGHT OKAY. so when revising for eng lit and lang this year our lit papers are quite literally a day before a weekend which is great so that means for your poem analysis if you're good at cramming you can do the night before. I only recommend this if you are like me and forget the whole symbolism of each poem and all that kinda stuff. Anyways for eng lang the top marks are often when you hit smth bout sound in your question 4. Ofc you have to do well in explaining it but it secures you a level 5 immediantly. SO when looking out for harsh verbs like thrashed, bashed cluttered you can first state a semantic field then its effects. Then go on to say something like "Furthermore the soundscape has collated harsh sounds through the writers use of assonace where we hear hard "t" and "c" sounds which therefore embellish the ideas of..... being vigourous, relentless and therfore...
For something like idk question 2) the siple way to get full marks is along the lines of just doing
The writer uses...... to represent/outline....
The verb/adverb ect "...." has connotations of ....
which could symbolise.... but at a deeper level could symbolise....
this therefore cause the reader to sympathise as we worry for the future... (dont use worry for the future but adapt it to your answer).
then do this for another paragraph and you're done.
Question 3)
mostly just gonna be about strucutre.
try looking at an insert and marking up the text
L for lanuage on the left
S for structure on the right.
when thinking about structure talk about what we are being zoomed in an out of and your main questions that you can write above it "who, what, when where why?" to try help you summarise the bits youve read in microwords.
always talk about beginning. middle and then end.
the beginning (if it has a long sentence and a running theme of missing someone for example)
you can talk about the symbolism of this use of structure. (so like for the example I gave you can talk about how the long sentences slow the pace of the story down symbollic to reflect the yearning of a dear one and how time slows down)
middle is always the hardest to talk about but this is where the biggest shift in the story occurs so you probably wanna talk about a shift in setting or climax point.
Talk about why the writer has zoomed us out/ in to introduce this setting first.
(in the example I gave it could be that you zoom out from the person's inner thoughts to the outer setting. Why? Because it may be a way to draw upon the irony of the situation as the person perhaps feels empty without the person they are longing for but in reality they are disillusioned and the setting they live in is actually filled with lots of people that they can talk to about their feelings.
the reader might start to dislike or feel fustrated with the characters harmatia of egocentricism and lack of awareness)
the end if on a cliffhanger is mainly all about suspense. I know for sure it gets super hard when there is no cliffhanger but often there is where you can talk about suspense and the readers being on edge. However, taking the example that there is no cliffhanger we can think of setence structure instead for example if it is similar to the beginning or if the change in pace or tone is refelctive of what is going on and suggestive of the characters forseeable actions.
depending on what this is you can still use "leaves the readers on edge"

this is coming from a person who got a 9 in her previous mocks for lit and lang but tbf im still scared that ive dropped significantly with my writing skills. cuz when i tell you i revised for all my english exams the night before. jumpscare.
Reply 4
this is coming from a person who got a 9 in her previous mocks for lit and lang but tbf im still scared that ive dropped significantly with my writing skills. cuz when i tell you i revised for all my english exams the night before. jumpscare.

omg im sure you will do amazing

do you have any information about the paper?

Quick Reply