The Student Room Group

Help whether to accept offer/clearing/gap year

I applied last October for Computer Science with the following predicted grades:
- A* Maths
- A* Computer Science
- A Further Maths
- A Chemistry
- A EPQ

I only received one offer, from the University of Sheffield (AAB) I was rejected from the following t Universities for the following reasons:
- University of Bath: Came very close but too much competition
- UCL: STAT too low (71)
- University of Imperial: Failed post interview
- University of Durham: Predicted grades too low

I believe I can get even higher grades and I know my Personal Statement is very strong because I got an Imperial Interview.
I don't know what to do. Do I try to get a better university through clearing? Should I go to Sheffield, despite my grades being far above the requirements? Do I take a gap year and apply with actual grades? Any advice would be so so helpful. <3
Original post by HarisAhmed3124
I applied last October for Computer Science with the following predicted grades:
- A* Maths
- A* Computer Science
- A Further Maths
- A Chemistry
- A EPQ
I only received one offer, from the University of Sheffield (AAB) I was rejected from the following t Universities for the following reasons:
I believe I can get even higher grades and I know my Personal Statement is very strong because I got an Imperial Interview.
I don't know what to do. Do I try to get a better university through clearing? Should I go to Sheffield, despite my grades being far above the requirements? Do I take a gap year and apply with actual grades? Any advice would be so so helpful. <3

Is Sheffield where you really want to go?

If not I would recommend trying to get somewhere through clearing and if not take a gap year! It's really not the end of the world. I rejected my university place and took a gap year to figure out what I wanted to do. It's worked out for me really well (except for that I applied for law and don't want to do it anymore so have to take two years out haha).

It gives you time to get some work experience that students wouldn't have the time for and puts you in a better place to reapply for the next year. You can also get a job and save for university, or travel!

At the end of the day no matter which decision you take, you'll always be wondering if it was the right one. Just go with what feels right :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by HarisAhmed3124
- A* Maths
- A* Computer Science
- A Further Maths
- A Chemistry
- A EPQ

Sheffield is a good uni with high student satisfaction (at least the people I know that go there really like it), so I would take that, especially as CS is so competitive that you might not get anything better after taking a gap year. I would only take a gap year if you do things in the your gap year like travelling/working etc, so that you won't feel it is a wasted year even if you don't get an offer at one of the elite unis.
Reply 3
Firm Sheffield. Then wait for Results Day, and if you get astonishing grades, think about a gap year and reapplying.
If you don't get higher grades, go to Sheffield and be grateful you've got a place.

Quick Reply