The Student Room Group

Russel group law with bad gcses

Which Russel group unis would most likely give me an undergraduate law offer with A*A*A predicted A levels and bad gcse grades?

GCSES: ( A*ABBBCCC) ( English 8 Math 4 )

My top choice: warwick
but also bristol, nottingham, leeds, exeter, manchester etc.

I have also done a range of extracurriculars such as DoFe Gold, Piano grade 6, leadership and community positions, work experience etc.
Many top unis do require certain grades at GCSE, but you do meet the minimum requirements for Warwick, its just the case of checking these requirements across the others unis too,
It wouldn't necessarily disadvantage you but since your A-levels are predicated quite highly, I don't think it will make that great of a difference, just make sure to have a top personal statement and a good reference.
Russel group unis do have tiers, Warwick being the top one out of your list, with (in my opinion) Manchester, Exeter, Leeds, Bristol and Nottingham following behind.
For Law, they need to see genuine interest, a lot of your extracurriculars are good as they show you can keep a good balance, but you would benefit from adding in more law-related activities, especially as law degrees will have a lot of extra reading and is an essay intensive subject. This is what RG unis will be looking for, and if you present this then you GCSEs shouldn't drag you down.
Original post by Carrotsroom
Many top unis do require certain grades at GCSE, but you do meet the minimum requirements for Warwick, its just the case of checking these requirements across the others unis too,
It wouldn't necessarily disadvantage you but since your A-levels are predicated quite highly, I don't think it will make that great of a difference, just make sure to have a top personal statement and a good reference.
Russel group unis do have tiers, Warwick being the top one out of your list, with (in my opinion) Manchester, Exeter, Leeds, Bristol and Nottingham following behind.
For Law, they need to see genuine interest, a lot of your extracurriculars are good as they show you can keep a good balance, but you would benefit from adding in more law-related activities, especially as law degrees will have a lot of extra reading and is an essay intensive subject. This is what RG unis will be looking for, and if you present this then you GCSEs shouldn't drag you down.

Thank you for your quick response! I will take on your advice about adding in more law-related activities. I am doing all essay based subjects; English language and literature, History and Psychology for A levels, perhaps this might help.
Original post by sndbansnbdjake
Which Russel group unis would most likely give me an undergraduate law offer with A*A*A predicted A levels and bad gcse grades?
I have also done a range of extracurriculars such as DoFe Gold, Piano grade 6, leadership and community positions, work experience etc.

These are not bad GCSEs. They are very good. Most RG universities dont care about GCSE results. They only look at English Language and Maths and 5 or in some cases 7 GCSEs. Bristol look at GCSEs for Law but it only counts for 20%. A levels and the LNAT count for 40% each. You might need to consider taking the LNAT or apply for universities that dont require it.

The truth is that you GCSEs wont count for most of your universities but they are at a high enough level not to affect you anyway. The only possible problem would be your Maths grade but most universities wont require anything above a 4 for Maths for Law courses but check the individual university to be sure.
Reply 4
Bristol is better than warwick for law that should be your top,its harder to get into and requires the LNAT
Bristol assesses Law applications with the following weightings:
GCSE 20% | A-Level 40% | LNAT 40%
So, your LNAT score is crucial and can easily compensate for weaker GCSE grades.

PS. You will need at least one choice with required grades well below the ones you have chosen - otherwise you couldl end up with offers all with essentially the same grades, and no obvious Insurance choice if if all goes wrong in August. Suggest you include somewhere non-RG like Sussex, City etc.
Reply 6
Original post by sndbansnbdjake

hii, my gcses were decent maybe considered bad according to oxbridge standards. i was like you as i got 4556788999 with an 89 in english and 4 in maths wanting to do law. most rg unis i’ve seen place little weight on gcses and more on LNAT and predictions and yours are very good so i believe if you make it up with your personal statement and lnat you will be good. im predicted 3 A* and am doing lnat for ref

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending