The Student Room Group

Technology for studies

I’ve recently firmed a Biomedical Sciences course and have started thinking about what kind of technology would be best for this course (e.g. laptop, tablet, computer) and the brands that you would recommend.
Thanks!
Original post by callumc_0
I’ve recently firmed a Biomedical Sciences course and have started thinking about what kind of technology would be best for this course (e.g. laptop, tablet, computer) and the brands that you would recommend.
Thanks!

Hey there,

Congratulations on firming your Biomedical Sciences course that's an exciting step forward in your academic journey!

When selecting the right technology for your Biomedical Sciences studies, a reliable and versatile laptop would be your best bet. Given the nature of your course, you'll likely need to run various software applications, analyse data, and conduct research, so having a powerful and efficient device is essential.

In terms of specifications, I'd recommend opting for a laptop with an SSD (Solid State Drive), as it offers faster performance and improved reliability compared to traditional hard drives. Additionally, aim for at least 8GB of RAM, but ideally, go for 16 GB to ensure smooth multitasking and accommodate the demanding workload of your course. As for the processor, a 6-core processor would provide the necessary processing power to handle complex tasks efficiently.

Regarding brands, there are several reputable options to consider, including but not limited to, Dell, HP, Lenovo, and Apple. Each brand offers a range of models with varying specifications and price points, so it's worth exploring your options and choosing one that aligns with your budget and preferences.

I don’t own a laptop, since I prefer to work on desktop computers. At the University of Salford, we have the option to borrow laptops for up to a week. I make use of this whenever I need it if I am going away for a bit or doing a group project on campus. I would recommend asking Lecturers or classmates if there is a similar service available at your University.

Ultimately, the key is to invest in a device that meets the specific requirements of your course while also providing durability, reliability, and performance. Generally, purchasing online is cheaper than in person. However, you can always research online and try different laptops in-store just to get a feel for them before purchasing online.

Best Regards,
Arslan University of Salford Student Representative
(edited 1 month ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending