The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Unsure on which Durham Colleges to pick

Hi everyone, I have been unable to make it to the open day and need help ranking the colleges!
I am looking for ideally an en-suite, non shared room. My course will be Politics and International Relations so, also ideally, a college not the far from where my lectures will be.

Which college will be best for me?
Original post by VervainT305
Hi everyone, I have been unable to make it to the open day and need help ranking the colleges!
I am looking for ideally an en-suite, non shared room. My course will be Politics and International Relations so, also ideally, a college not the far from where my lectures will be.
Which college will be best for me?

Hi there

Politics and IR are taught on the science site which is near the hill colleges. There are 4 self-catered hill colleges where you have the best chance of getting an ensuite, namely, Josephine Butler, Stephenson, South and John Snow. I'm from South and it has amazing facilities since it's the youngest college. South and John Snow offer similar accommodation. There are townhouses where a bathroom is shared between 2 people or flats where you get an ensuite. They also share facilities in the Hub, including music rooms, dining hall for formals, gym (the best college gym seriously), etc. Out of the 4 hill colleges, these two will be the closest to the Al Qasimi building (for IR) and a 13 minute walk away from the science site. Based on your preferences, therefore, I think these will be the best.

However, if you want a catered college, you're more likely to get a single room with shared bathrooms in the rest of the hill colleges. Ensuites are usually only offered to those who have a medical condition.

Hope that helps :smile:

-Himieka
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Durham Students
Hi there
Politics and IR are taught on the science site which is near the hill colleges. There are 4 self-catered hill colleges where you have the best chance of getting an ensuite, namely, Josephine Butler, Stephenson, South and John Snow. I'm from South and it has amazing facilities since it's the youngest college. South and John Snow offer similar accommodation. There are townhouses where a bathroom is shared between 2 people or flats where you get an ensuite. They also share facilities in the Hub, including music rooms, dining hall for formals, gym (the best college gym seriously), etc. Out of the 4 hill colleges, these two will be the closest to the Al Qasimi building (for IR) and a 13 minute walk away from the science site. Based on your preferences, therefore, I think these will be the best.
However, if you want a catered college, you're more likely to get a single room with shared bathrooms in the rest of the hill colleges. Ensuites are usually only offered to those who have a medical condition.
Hope that helps :smile:
-Himieka

Thank you, this helped greatly

Quick Reply