The Student Room Group

Design portfolio

What sort of things should I do in my a level sketchbook to get me into a design related uni course
Depends what design you’re doing but usually unis like seeing the thought process like sketches, changes you make, what went well and not so much, don’t just put final pieces because they’re more interested to see how you work. What subject are you trying to do in the future?
Reply 2
Original post by Jessa0811
Depends what design you’re doing but usually unis like seeing the thought process like sketches, changes you make, what went well and not so much, don’t just put final pieces because they’re more interested to see how you work. What subject are you trying to do in the future?

Currently thinking of illustration, graphic design games design architecture
Original post by Ellis’s
Currently thinking of illustration, graphic design games design architecture

They’re all quite different in terms of what they will look for in a portfolio.
Illustration and games design will be looking for storytelling and character design in your work
Graphic design should include some typography work, logo design etc
Architecture is about 3d work so lots of observational sketches and also experimenting in 3d (sculpture, textiles, modelmaking etc)
Start going to Uni open days, and see which subjects excite you more. Then start directing your projects in that direction if you can.

Also, don't be afraid to speak to your teachers. The chances are they know quite a bit about getting students into Uni!

Quick Reply

Latest