The Student Room Group

Career advice?

im in my final year of LLB at a RG uni but i fumbled massively by submitting one late (capped at 40%), bringing my overall down to 2.2. i might be able to scrape a 2.1 depending on my exams and coursework results but idk. im planning do an LLM in international law or commercial law (if i do well in my commercial module this year, i might but idk). does anyone have any ideas on which is more broadly employable and easier to get a first in?

after my masters, i have no clue if i even want to qualify and try working as a solicitor. plus looking long-term, the work culture and pressure just seems overwehelming.

i just want to work a respectable desk job (doesn’t have to be legal) with a reasonable starting (35k-ish) income with opportunity for promotions (earning over 50K), low pressure, low responsbitility and good work-life balance. is that even possible?

alternatively, i am only 21, so if i were to try change up career prospects nows the time to do it i guess? are there any jobs that fit the descritpion? i get that basiaclly every sector is over saturated and there are no jobs but i really dont think i can work in law for the rest of my life.
Original post by Ariag
im in my final year of LLB at a RG uni but i fumbled massively by submitting one late (capped at 40%), bringing my overall down to 2.2. i might be able to scrape a 2.1 depending on my exams and coursework results but idk. im planning do an LLM in international law or commercial law (if i do well in my commercial module this year, i might but idk). does anyone have any ideas on which is more broadly employable and easier to get a first in?
after my masters, i have no clue if i even want to qualify and try working as a solicitor. plus looking long-term, the work culture and pressure just seems overwehelming.
i just want to work a respectable desk job (doesn’t have to be legal) with a reasonable starting (35k-ish) income with opportunity for promotions (earning over 50K), low pressure, low responsbitility and good work-life balance. is that even possible?
alternatively, i am only 21, so if i were to try change up career prospects nows the time to do it i guess? are there any jobs that fit the descritpion? i get that basiaclly every sector is over saturated and there are no jobs but i really dont think i can work in law for the rest of my life.

Hi,

I would recommend trying to get different work experience to figure what works for you in terms of your desires and your skills. If you aren't sure that law is for you then see if you can shadow some lawyers to make sure you really understand what the career is about before giving up on it. However, if you know that law really isn't for you then I would recommend exploring another avenue! Law is a tough career to get into and it is, in many ways, a vocation not a career so you need to have to really want to do it.

I think that you may struggle to fit a job with all of the qualities you have listed. Usually a more lucrative salary comes with pressures and time commitments. However, there is no universal rule on that and I am sure the career you want is out there for you. Now you just have to do the difficult bit of figuring out what that may be!

Good luck 🙂
I wouldn't hold your expectations so high with the starting salary. Job market is rough right now, and you may have to start in the 20s to kickstart something and then climb the career ladder to land those promotions. Everyones going for the same types of jobs with higher salaries and they may be deemed more competitive than you if they graduated with higher grades, so I'd say to not be too picky with starting salary. Even most grad schemes sit below 30k.
Also there are reasons why companies pay people higher salaries, and those qualities you listed arent why. If jobs were like that, then the entire population would be going for it. Unfortunately you may have to lower your expectation a little.

Law is definitely not the only pathway to get into. As long as you can transfer skills and talk about your reasons for your career change, then you can start in any industry. Loads of people end up making big career changes.
Reply 3
A degree is a gateway qualification in to many jobs. There are graduate schemes for general management roles in retail, production, logistics, accounting, marketing etc. And law will be a respected degree. I would advise to try to indefinitely something you think you’d really like to try. Get some help from the uni careers service. Far better to do something that you really enjoy, although in my experience this can be tricky identify.
On your salary expectations, I think you’ll need to work your way up to £50k, and even £35k and this generally involves a bit beyond 9-5
(edited 1 month ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending