The Student Room Group

Am I eligible for a postgraduate SFE masters loan?

Hello - i'm wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation and would know if i'm eligible for a SFE masters loan.

After finishing my undergraduate, I was funded by the ESRC to do an 'integrated Phd' - this essentially means a 3 year PhD course but with an initial 'transition' year. It was not a 'masters' year, I was awarded no masters qualification - however I was studying at masters level of course. But not given an actual award or qualification for it - I do not have a masters.

I am now doing my PhD. However, upon starting the PhD I have come to realise that the career I was pursuing will be impossible as I do not have 'Graduate basis for charted membership' as I have not completed a BPS accredited psychology course. This means I will not be able to work in a psychology related career.

I have found a course that will grant me GBC as it is a BPS accredited psychology conversion course. It is part time and I could do it alongside my PhD (my sponsor is okay with it). However, as I am currently enrolled in a PhD programme, i am not sure if i am eligible for the masters loan? on the website, it only says you're not eligible if 'you already have a qualification that’s higher than a master’s degree' - technically I do not have the qualification yet (and wont for another 2/3 years) but I am not sure if this is still okay?

If I can't get this loan I am worried I will never be able to work in psychology. If anyone knows of any other potencial funding routes (self funding is unfortunately not an option) then I will be so grateful! Thank you!
Hi Chloe. We cannot fund a PHD course and a Masters Course at the same time. So unfortunately this is not something that you would be able to apply for. I would advise speaking to the University for further guidance. Thanks, David
Reply 2
Original post by David SLC
Hi Chloe. We cannot fund a PHD course and a Masters Course at the same time. So unfortunately this is not something that you would be able to apply for. I would advise speaking to the University for further guidance. Thanks, David

Hi David - thanks for your reply. just to note that SFE are not funding my PhD. I have only ever had SFE for my undergrad.
Original post by chloege97
Hi David - thanks for your reply. just to note that SFE are not funding my PhD. I have only ever had SFE for my undergrad.

Thanks Chloe. Sorry, even if you are self funding your PHD you would not be eligible to apply for PGM funding as you cannot have concurrent study. When did you start your PHD course? Thanks, David
Reply 4
Original post by David SLC
Thanks Chloe. Sorry, even if you are self funding your PHD you would not be eligible to apply for PGM funding as you cannot have concurrent study. When did you start your PHD course? Thanks, David

Hi David - ah okay I understand. It seems dual enrolment may only be possible for self funders, as I know my uni allow dual enrolment. I started the PhD phase in 2023. thank you for your help.
Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, due to it being considered concurrent study, you wouldn't be eligible to apply for the PGM funding. Thanks, Leah.

Quick Reply