The Student Room Group

Functional Skills + T-level enough for uni?

My friend is expecting to fail GCSE maths and english but pass most of their other gcses. They are confident they can still get into their college of choice, possibly taking a year to redo maths and english or take functional skills instead, however they're interested in whether universities or entry level employment are going to consider level 2 functional skills on an equal level to standard GCSEs.
I've advised that most unis only look for the results of the college courses but sometimes expect a pass in maths or english. They are going to take a T-Level in computer science instead of A-levels.
First off, can anyone enlighten us on how to take L2 functional skills, and secondly is it considered equivalent level to maths and english by most organisations?
TIA!
It's pretty typical for universities to require passes in GCSE English language and Maths. Whether they accept functional skills in place of this is probably dependent on the uni. You would need to check on the uni websites individually to see.

Whether or not a T-level would be accepted in lieu of A-levels for universities is likely very variable. Ultimately as I understand they are not designed as university preparatory courses and I suspect some unis may not accept them. Note also that computer science at degree level is very mathematical and normally requires A-level Maths or equivalent, so struggling in GCSE Maths probably means that's not a realistic option.

For going directly into work I suspect for most roles functional skills would be acceptable but this may vary. Probably easiest just to look at some job/apprenticeship listings and see what they state for that! T-levels are in theory designed for the needs of industry to get those who finish them into work, whether this is the case I'm not sure though.

I might suggest they look into apprenticeship options instead as that's probably a better direct route into work and may later be able to continue to a degree level apprenticeship, and is a pretty standardised route into a career.
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
It's pretty typical for universities to require passes in GCSE English language and Maths. Whether they accept functional skills in place of this is probably dependent on the uni. You would need to check on the uni websites individually to see.
Whether or not a T-level would be accepted in lieu of A-levels for universities is likely very variable. Ultimately as I understand they are not designed as university preparatory courses and I suspect some unis may not accept them. Note also that computer science at degree level is very mathematical and normally requires A-level Maths or equivalent, so struggling in GCSE Maths probably means that's not a realistic option.
For going directly into work I suspect for most roles functional skills would be acceptable but this may vary. Probably easiest just to look at some job/apprenticeship listings and see what they state for that! T-levels are in theory designed for the needs of industry to get those who finish them into work, whether this is the case I'm not sure though.
I might suggest they look into apprenticeship options instead as that's probably a better direct route into work and may later be able to continue to a degree level apprenticeship, and is a pretty standardised route into a career.

Thanks for your help!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending