The Student Room Group

A Level Chemistry help + Vet school

Hi. Prepare yourself for an essay.

As the end of my first year at A levels come to an end, I am becoming increasingly worried and stressed. I chose English Literature, biology and chemistry, achieving 878 in those subjects at GCSE. I’ve always favoured more creative subjects and always seemed to excel in those more however it’s been my aspiration since I was little to become a Vet and I’ve done lots work experience, gone to open days etc.
However, I’m seriously struggling with my grades: I am achieving Cs in Biology and achieving the occasional C and normally Ds in Chemistry whilst achieving A*s in English.

Regardless if I continue with the Vet Path, I still really need and want AAA for top tier unis however I seem to be unable to escape these science grades. In Biology I seem to understand the topic, then in the exam im thinking I’ve got this, then end up doing poorly. I’m not sure if this is a case of not doing enough practise questions or not knowing my content well enough? Any tips on this??

Chemistry has become an absolute living nightmare. I can barely do it and I am just doing terrible and I am now nearly at the end of first year and I’m having to do a forced gap year (not complaining tbh) because my predicted grades are going to be so poor that i shouldn’t even bother applying for uni. I am becoming so stressed because it’s only going to get harder from here and I can barely keep up. I do all the exam questions my college provides us but I’m still doing badly. Does anyone please know any resources that can help me?? Are my dreams of an A over?? Is it too late for me?? I don’t learn from reading books so i try watch videos but I find myself losing focus at websites like FreeScienceLessons (lovely bloke deserves a medal but I can’t stay focused) and then I’m just screwed. I am screwed. I don’t know how to learn, what to learn or what to do

This is my last cry for help. Anyone who has been in my position and came out with an A please tell me you exist. Because the worse I’m doing, and even more effort I’m putting in I can’t escape the Ds. Please help me.
Reply 1
Have you talked to your Chemistry teacher about this - start there.
Original post by Lucy_VetGirl
As the end of my first year at A levels come to an end, I am becoming increasingly worried and stressed. I chose English Literature, biology and chemistry, achieving 878 in those subjects at GCSE. I’ve always favoured more creative subjects and always seemed to excel in those more however it’s been my aspiration since I was little to become a Vet and I’ve done lots work experience, gone to open days etc.
However, I’m seriously struggling with my grades: I am achieving Cs in Biology and achieving the occasional C and normally Ds in Chemistry whilst achieving A*s in English.
Regardless if I continue with the Vet Path, I still really need and want AAA for top tier unis however I seem to be unable to escape these science grades. In Biology I seem to understand the topic, then in the exam im thinking I’ve got this, then end up doing poorly. I’m not sure if this is a case of not doing enough practise questions or not knowing my content well enough? Any tips on this??
Chemistry has become an absolute living nightmare. I can barely do it and I am just doing terrible and I am now nearly at the end of first year and I’m having to do a forced gap year (not complaining tbh) because my predicted grades are going to be so poor that i shouldn’t even bother applying for uni. I am becoming so stressed because it’s only going to get harder from here and I can barely keep up. I do all the exam questions my college provides us but I’m still doing badly. Does anyone please know any resources that can help me?? Are my dreams of an A over?? Is it too late for me?? I don’t learn from reading books so i try watch videos but I find myself losing focus at websites like FreeScienceLessons (lovely bloke deserves a medal but I can’t stay focused) and then I’m just screwed. I am screwed. I don’t know how to learn, what to learn or what to do
This is my last cry for help. Anyone who has been in my position and came out with an A please tell me you exist. Because the worse I’m doing, and even more effort I’m putting in I can’t escape the Ds. Please help me.

Hi, here are some resources:
. Chem guide
. Chem revise
. Cgp books
. physics maths tutor

Hey relate to do this except I'm the exact opposite as you. I can't do creative subjects for life (respect to those who, like you, can. I personally think that English is one of the hardest subject = not something you can exactly memorize or given an exact answer to you know?). I did both bio and chem and wanted to do med. I too kinda took a gap year (I redid Y12 cause I moved schools) so honestly ain't nothing wrong with that + less pressure. Ngl you are ahead given your work experiences before Y12 (impressive honestly). GCSE science was not the best for me. Did average but in A levels I managed A*s for both chem and bio in my final exam.

Bio is a tricky one but I do believe that understanding is important and that you shouldn't memorize concepts if you can help it. Here are a few tricks I used:

Utilized the spec sheet = your ultimate checklist

Make concise notes that meet each spec point

Read em once and try to gain an understanding. Bio is a build up of knowledge overtime. Your first few units are supposed to support you for subsequent ones.

Find analogies that work for you.

Do em PPQs and add mark scheme answers to your notes (as the same questions do come up time and time again).

And an exam technique I learnt is they don't penalize you in bio for writing more and for writing points that don't exactly answer the question. For my final exam I had a 3 marker that I ended up writing half a page for soo...

So if you ain't sure what the question is asking you, write everything down that you can relate to specific key words. You see the word synapse? write down how the mechanism works and the key players in between.

Drawing diagrams to help explain your answers = also allowed.

For chem I joined A levels a month late an was a C student to begin with. I realized quickly that an A = more than attainable. Here are a few tips:

Only notes I used was from chemrevise (they met, for me, almost all the Edexcel spec points). I supplemented some of these notes using my own from class for understanding.

I watched Allery Chemistry on YT for extra support.

Did all the PPQs I could find and added writings to my chem revise notes.

Thing about chem is that they do want specific words to appear for you to get the mark. So in my answers I use a lot of this sign: / . For eg: bubbling/ evanescence.

Chem is very much based on knowledge build up. A strong basic = a strong finish especially in Y13 where synthesis is the real test. But trust me, nothing you can't do. If you know your stuff you will be fine.

So no your dreams are not over and an A is very manageable. Exam papers can be found all on PMT. Remember studying/revision ought to be enjoyable if it takes so much of our time. I did 1-4 topics a day depending on how I feel but did so consistently. Celebrate every time you understand something. Remember to prioritize your mental health too. If you don't feel like doing anything, take a day off and do something you like. I study with instrumental music and reward myself with lunch and dinner. I also study in different places but they always = quiet. Remember your goal is vet school and that it's your dream. It is up to you now but am here to cheer you on! Hope this helps.

At the end of year 12 my last set of mocks were A (geography), D (biology) and U (chemistry). I spent the summer working myself to the bone in chemistry. I did a make up test at the beginning on year 12 and got a D. My lecturer noted that i finally understood concepts i now just needed to learn the details. I ended up convincing my teachers to predict me what i needed. I showed a massive improvement over the summer, a better more organised attitude to studying and i may have cried and said jsut give me the predicted grades and if i dont get in thats on me. Luckily that worked.

My teachers and I then made an action plan. I had an hour revision with each of my science teachers (2 bio teachers and 2 chemistry teachers) a week at lunch. They gave me extra tests and i would do them. We came up with revision plans and I got a tutor. I am very lucky to have that option and I am aware that its not possible for everyone.

I got offers from Nottingham (AAB), Bristol (AAA), Surrey (AAB) and Liverpool (AAA). My a levels were distributed by covid and the algorithm messed up my grades but once that got sorted i ended up with A (geography), A (biology) and B (chemistry). I got accepted into my first choice- Nottingham April entry (I'm a current 4th year).

You are not screwed.

Take a breath and take a step back. Right now you are panicking and thats not gonna help.

Here's what helped me:
Make/find a list of every topic in chemistry and divide into sub topics. Then go through the sub topics and allocate a colour to each subtopic as to what you are confident in (red, orange green). If its orange pause it for now. If its red find out exactly what you struggle with. Start with understanding, read the material make a list of questions for your teacher, read around the subject then find so many past papers and just do question after question. You can find loads on internet and on exam board websites. Another good idea is summarise your knowledge of an area/topic on 1 A4 piece of paper. Big chunky notes waste time.

Basically locate your weakness, understand, learn, then practice.

A good technique is see (read), do (answer questions), teach (e.g. friend, teacher, parents or even a pet).

It will be a lot of work but you can do it do not give up. You will never know if you dont try. If you dont get the grades you can retake.

This is hard to do but try to just do your best. If your best is a B fine but you wont know unless you try. Honestly this wont be easy but if you make a big chunk of your life chemistry then thats just what you have to do. If you do it and panic though thats not helpful. Break it down into bite size chunks. I would do like 10 minute reviews as that felt manageable and then i built it up to longer sessions.

You can do this. The panic will be making a mental block so thats the first step you need to get over. You've got this!
Reply 5

During year 12 (first year of sixth form) I was getting C/D in Chemistry A level no matter what I did, however, second year of sixth form (year 13), I changed my perspective and learned several techniques which skyrocketed my grade in such a short period time, I ended up achieving A in Chem and A* in Biology. So it is possible, if you have any questions on the methods I used/ have any other questions, don’t hesitate to DM me on yuv.s_
Reply 6
Original post by Ysingh003
During year 12 (first year of sixth form) I was getting C/D in Chemistry A level no matter what I did, however, second year of sixth form (year 13), I changed my perspective and learned several techniques which skyrocketed my grade in such a short period time, I ended up achieving A in Chem and A* in Biology. So it is possible, if you have any questions on the methods I used/ have any other questions, don’t hesitate to DM me on yuv.s_

ive messaged you

Quick Reply