The Student Room Group

Ma Research Psychologist:Gradute Chartered Membership (GBC)(GMBPsS)

Hello:smile:
I’m new here and would please like some advice, I’ll be so appreciative!

1)My masters degree in research psychology was obtained in South Africa and was approved by BPS . Furthermore I was awarded and accredited as a *Graduate and chartered member of The British Psychological Society*
2) I also hold an undergraduate in Ba psychology and English, as well as a postgraduate honours in Bsocsci psychology (All BPS accredited)

I’m all theory(ed) out. My concern is that I have almost no practical experience besides volunteer work and community service. My passion is criminal/clinical/abnormal psych and research, but getting into a SA clin masters programme is pretty much impossible. Iv studied for almost a DECADE to achieve these qualifications, yet I can’t do anything with them. I’m considering coming over to the uk (I hold a UK passport). Theory wise I am overqualified (if that’s such a thing) but practical experience is zero!

Question: What can I do with my chartered membership? Any advice on the route I need to take to be able to actually PRACTICE psychology? Even if it isn’t as a clinical psych but in a related field.
Example: courses, internship, PhD.

Thank you😊
From- A very disheartened and stuck in limbo psych graduate
Original post by RebeccaB94
Hello:smile:
I’m new here and would please like some advice, I’ll be so appreciative!

1)My masters degree in research psychology was obtained in South Africa and was approved by BPS . Furthermore I was awarded and accredited as a *Graduate and chartered member of The British Psychological Society*
2) I also hold an undergraduate in Ba psychology and English, as well as a postgraduate honours in Bsocsci psychology (All BPS accredited)

I’m all theory(ed) out. My concern is that I have almost no practical experience besides volunteer work and community service. My passion is criminal/clinical/abnormal psych and research, but getting into a SA clin masters programme is pretty much impossible. Iv studied for almost a DECADE to achieve these qualifications, yet I can’t do anything with them. I’m considering coming over to the uk (I hold a UK passport). Theory wise I am overqualified (if that’s such a thing) but practical experience is zero!

Question: What can I do with my chartered membership? Any advice on the route I need to take to be able to actually PRACTICE psychology? Even if it isn’t as a clinical psych but in a related field.
Example: courses, internship, PhD.

Thank you😊
From- A very disheartened and stuck in limbo psych graduate

Volunteering work experience does count as experience that you can use and would be valid in the UK. Problem is, every single thing relating to psychology in the UK is super competitive.

If you wanted to do, say, clinical psychology, you'd need a DClinPsy in clinical psychology. But for that you'd need experience, probably more than what you have. So you'd ideally would want to get a job as an assistant psychologist to get more experience which does properly relate to psychology. You can theoretically apply to this job with your qualifications and experience, but that job is extremely competitive in the UK and people can spend years trying to get a job as an assistant psychologist before they even get it...

In the UK there are a lot of psychological therapist positions which you can get by doing courses or internships though, so I'd look into those. The NHS website is a great place to start :smile:

Quick Reply