The Student Room Group

Art or French GCSE?

Hi, I need to choose my GCSE options soon and was thinking History, DT and french (+ triple science). But I don’t really like French and would rather do art. Do you think there’s too much work if I choose art instead of french (especially with triple science aswell). Advice pls xx
Your best bet is to take French and to keep art as a hobby. GCSEs have an incredible skill at destroying your love for you passions and you will start to associate the stress with the art. (Not much fun) If you take French, it will also open up opportunities to travel (French museums are gorgeous). During GCSEs you will need something to wind down so I recommend keeping your love of art as a safe space to wind down after studying. Added bonus that languages look really good on a CV.
Regardless which you pick, feel free to send me a dm. I do French tutoring/mentoring and I'd be more than happy to answer any question and/or send good resources and study advice on either subject.
Reply 3
Original post by 12345GI
Hi, I need to choose my GCSE options soon and was thinking History, DT and french (+ triple science). But I don’t really like French and would rather do art. Do you think there’s too much work if I choose art instead of french (especially with triple science aswell). Advice pls xx

art is hell. dt and art sounds like a combo that is impossible to survive.
everyone i've talked to who did art gcse doesn't exactly look back on it with fond memories. and the workload is really intense. dt workload is also really intense but art might just be worse. so overall - don't take art, don't do that to yourself

do you have any options other than french that you can take (considering how you said that you don't like it)?
heyyy i did both. art gcse genuinely bought back my depression. like i am not kidding lol. it absolutely obliterated any passion I had for art. french, however, is sooooo good (I'm defo biased just bcos I am absolutely class at french getting grade 9s every time sort of thing). if you do end up picking french absolutely use duolingo it helps so so so much with vocab and grammar. hope this helps!
Original post by 12345GI

If you enjoy art absolutely choose it💯
Original post by katiedisney
heyyy i did both. art gcse genuinely bought back my depression. like i am not kidding lol. it absolutely obliterated any passion I had for art. french, however, is sooooo good (I'm defo biased just bcos I am absolutely class at french getting grade 9s every time sort of thing). if you do end up picking french absolutely use duolingo it helps so so so much with vocab and grammar. hope this helps!

I'm a fluent French speaker (grew up in France). Heads up, Duolingo has a large amount of inaccuracies and things that are downright incorrect. I'm not saying don't use it, I'm just saying don't use it in isolation and exercise caution while using it because its not always correct information. I personally recommend memrise for languages as many are created by examiners and teachers.
Original post by 12345GI

Hey! Cannot talk from personal experience, however ALL the people who do art in my school stress about art and some of them havent even started their GCSE revision due to Art NEA and coursework (bear in mind GCSEs start in a week).
I did Spanish and tbh i dont find it too much hard work!
Good luck!
Original post by Jacky Pleasant
I'm a fluent French speaker (grew up in France). Heads up, Duolingo has a large amount of inaccuracies and things that are downright incorrect. I'm not saying don't use it, I'm just saying don't use it in isolation and exercise caution while using it because its not always correct information. I personally recommend memrise for languages as many are created by examiners and teachers.
oh I definitely didn't know this whoops! sorry op lol
Reply 9

Hi, I'm doing my French GCSE this summer, and doing French A Level next year. Although I agree with you that Duolingo has some inaccuracies (I wouldn't say a large amount, but then again I'm only B1, so haven't done the whole course), I think that it is a great app for keeping consistent since language learning is something done over time. I much prefer it to memrise because it looks much more aesthetically pleasing, and is much more fun to do. Furthermore, it helps contextualise words and tenses so they stick around in your long term memory more. Of course Duolingo shouldn't be your sole revision method, but what I am saying is that it certainly is more fun than doing digital flashcards on memrise. Since OP has already stated that they don't really enjoy French, doing something like memrise every time they revise would suck even more fun out of it, leading to regret at not having chosen art. Duolingo gave me my passion for language learning; I've been going strong for 2 years on French and approaching B2 level. All I'm saying is that I feel like a few small inaccuracies don't invalidate the entire premise of the app :smile:
Original post by 12345gi

Hey, I took both french and art, and art honestly, no regrets. I don't know if it's just my school's workload or whatnot, but it's not really too stressful if you keep on top of work, if you're a procrastinator that might be a problem, as some of my art friends are lmao. Genuinely, I was wondering whether to pick art for AGESSSS, and in the first lesson of GCSE Art I felt like I wouldn't be able to accomplish anything my art teacher was telling us we were going to be doing 😂 but it didn't end up like that at all! just for perspective, my first project/theme was Natural Forms, so if you like drawing flowers n nature stuff then thats great (i loved that project, we've moved onto patterns now)
I know the themes aren't the same every year, but i've heard a few people have had Natural forms over the years? so that's good if you like it, and if it came up for you. Be aware it ofc, may not tho! All the themes are bound to be decent for you in some way, I'd say
honestly if you like art, it's like a free period, and finishing off work at home is quite nice if you enjoy it

also in terms of the combo of art and triple, maybe it's bc im still in yr 10 and the workload isnt TOOOOO bad for art, (and i also take single science so like I'm not one to speak ab triple) but my triple and art combo friends say they wish they didnt take triple, they do have a lot of tests in between and doing art too could potentially be a bit stressful- But they also don't like triple in general so it depends if you think you like science! I do know a good few ppl doing that combo so if you feel up to it, go for it <; But I have heard DT has a lot of work too, I'm not totally sure if thats a great combo with art AND triple? but i think you need to gather more sources of info from elsewhere for that one Xx

Then French. Oh French, I'm not sure if it's just because I hate my teacher and her way of teaching but I slightly regret picking it 😅 whenever i see it on my timetable, I literally dread it, but doing the actual lesson is fine, sometimes even nice because I know more vocab than others and know more basic rules 😆 (but i beg tho if you pick french USE DUOLINGO to assist your vocab, it'll improve, and it's sorta fun to do ngl- that's how i got some of my vocab stuck in my head!)
I'm still in yr 10 and doing higher, and I find the listening tests SO HARD, i srsly need to practice them, and even the reading tests I hardly do well either (nah I got like a 4 for listening 😭 and a 6 for reading, which is...ok) We havent covered all the vocab obviously so that's probably why, but yeahh i do struggle with the tests, I genuinely think it's my teacher tho bc I don't mind the content and the lessons itself, really. ALSO I BEG FOR YOU TO KNOW YOU TENSES OMG BC I DO NOT. word of advice to understand them asap lmao

If you were to pick, then I defo would for Art if you like it, I was in your position looking for advice for whether to pick it too. You'll find you put effort into subjects you like! French, I think will be okayyy if you like your teachers, (and again, the subject) and think they're good for you to learn well ❤️ It's a good subject to have, be aware you do Speaking,
Listening, Reading and Writing for the exam so make sure you're up for that!!

Good luck in picking, sorry this was so long 🥰
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by 12345GI

When i picked my gcses I really enjoyed art and did not really like French too but I ended up picking both as they were the best options for me. For french I dropped it now after seeing my terrible mock grades. And for art and carried on with it and completed my 10 hours exam two weeks ago. I think that yes art is a lot of work and stress but if you are willing to put an effort in it I don't see why not as you would rather do something you are interested in as long as you put the work in. Personally I would go for art.
I would drop French anyway, because it is a language I don't like to learn, not to mention to speak. Better options or not.
Reply 13
Regardless which you pick, feel free to send me a dm. I do French tutoring/mentoring and I'd be more than happy to answer any question and/or send good resources and study advice on either subject.

Hi can I have some resources please?
Here are some specifically for the Listening exam

Listen to lots of French things best way to practice is to understand French.

The French speak really fast but don't let that put you off. In the exam the recorded voice goes really slowly.

If you can understand the natives, you'll nail the exam.
-Spotify playlist
This is one of my favorite playlists and a few of my fav French artists. Using google translate is a great way of understanding any lyrics you don't understand but it is not always 100% accurate. https://open.spotify.com/artist/4Nrd0CtP8txoQhnnlRA6V6?si=-zeJQFa0QzqDWUCsCSJdSwhttps://open.spotify.com/artist/2RJBv9wXbW6m539q9NOfW1?si=jycjEJ_3Qr-uiKKdcFaDbw https://open.spotify.com/playlist/3eZtF5y5PJX4YpexhHC8dG?si=baa0d26b7b5c4197

-French films
Here is a website French films. Some have English subtitles in case you don't understand some bits. Cartoons are ace for this. I love watching Hey Duggee in different languages!https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=052912eaecd8bd94JmltdHM9MTcwODQ3MzYwMCZpZ3VpZD0wZTRlZGE5NC0wMTVhLTZjMWEtMjExNC1jZWI4MDA3ZDZkODcmaW5zaWQ9NTM2Nw&ptn=3&ver=2&hsh=3&fclid=0e4eda94-015a-6c1a-2114-ceb8007d6d87&psq=french+films&u=a1aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cubmV0ZmxpeC5jb20vZ2IvYnJvd3NlL2dlbnJlLzEwNzU2Mg&ntb=1https://thevore.com/french-movies-online/-Talk in FrenchTo yourself, to a friend, just hearing a French voice is great practice.

-PAST PAPERS!
Seriously. Best way to practice.
https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=ad804b2f3e3beb67JmltdHM9MTcwODQ3MzYwMCZpZ3VpZD0wZTRlZGE5NC0wMTVhLTZjMWEtMjExNC1jZWI4MDA3ZDZkODcmaW5zaWQ9NTIxMg&ptn=3&ver=2&hsh=3&fclid=0e4eda94-015a-6c1a-2114-ceb8007d6d87&psq=french+listening+past+papers&u=a1aHR0cHM6Ly9yZXZpc2lvbndvcmxkLmNvbS9nY3NlLXJldmlzaW9uL2ZyZW5jaC9mcmVuY2gtZ2NzZS1wYXN0LXBhcGVycy9hcWEtZ2NzZS1mcmVuY2gtcGFzdC1wYXBlcnM&ntb=1

Audios.
Find a French audio book listen to a few minutes than write what you understood about the paragraph.https://linguabooster.com/en/fr/audiobooks

Hope this helps!
Original post by ZainahK
Hi can I have some resources please?
Ooops sent it in the wrong place, see response above/below

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending