The Student Room Group

WJEC Criminology level 3

Hi, I am currently in year 11 staying on at sixth form in my school. I really want to go to uni (Russell Group hopefully) to do law and criminology. So I was wondering would it be feasible for me to take the WJEC Criminology diploma along with 2 A-levels? (Would be English Lang & Lit combined as well as Sociology)

If the answer is no, does anyone know if it would be sensible for me to take Biology as an alternative - what I mean is in terms of could I get the grades for all 3? Thank you for any help in advance!
Original post by katiedisney
Hi, I am currently in year 11 staying on at sixth form in my school. I really want to go to uni (Russell Group hopefully) to do law and criminology. So I was wondering would it be feasible for me to take the WJEC Criminology diploma along with 2 A-levels? (Would be English Lang & Lit combined as well as Sociology)

If the answer is no, does anyone know if it would be sensible for me to take Biology as an alternative - what I mean is in terms of could I get the grades for all 3? Thank you for any help in advance!

Some universities are fine with the WJEC Level 3 Applied Diploma in Criminology for some degrees, whilst some are not.

For example, for LLB Law with Criminology Manchester say, "We accept the WJEC Level 3 Applied Diploma in Criminology as equivalent to an A-level if taken alongside two full A-levels from the list of acceptable subjects above." (source)

UCL say, "The WJEC Level 3 Applied Diploma in Criminology is only accepted for entry to the BSc Crime and Security Science programme, and the Engineering Foundation Year programmes. This qualification is not accepted for any other programme at UCL." (source)

Exeter say, "We accept WJEC Level 3 Applied Diplomas and the WJEC Level 3 Diploma in Criminology as equivalent to 1 A Level." (source)

Edinburgh say, "We currently accept the listed Level 3 qualifications in the following subjects:" ... "WJEC Level 3 Applied Diploma: Business; Criminology; Health and Social Care: Principles and Contexts; Medical Science"

One could generalise and say that if you'll be applying for Law and Criminology, a WJEC Level 3 Applied Diploma in Criminology will probably be fine. However, if you were to change your mind during the next two years and decide to pursue a different path, then that Diploma may not be accepted everywhere.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending