The Student Room Group
Roehampton Library | Roehampton University
University of Roehampton
London
Visit website

Starting Fresh & New Friends

The first year of university is a unique mix of excitement and apprehension, especially when you don’t know anyone! That was my reality when I kicked off my Psychology studies at the University of Roehampton.

My first few days
I was worried that groups of friends would have already formed and that I would struggle to fit in. To add to those worries, term started just a month after my foot operation. I was on crutches, which meant that I didn’t go to many freshers’ events.

Breaking the ice, cooking dinners, and making friends
Let me dispel a common myth right away missing out on the flashy freshers’ events doesn’t cast a shadow over your university experience. Sure, the allure of parties is undeniable, but opting out doesn’t mean your university experience will be much different to those who went. I found myself living with three girls, and we all bonded well. On the first night, we cooked dinner together and got to know one another. Since then, whatever it is tea, games night, chit chat or a movie night I had them just a door away. I soon found friends on my course who were in a similar position, everyone was so welcoming and supportive.

Everything in reach on campus
The library, gym, cafés and shops are only a short walk away, which is very handy. If you are anything like me and would like to get into the bigger city, then it’s a 25-minute train ride and you’re in Central London ready to explore. I love the atmosphere on campus. After my long days out, seeing my accommodation is a relief and feels like home.

Be yourself!
My suggestion to you is be yourself! University is not school, embrace who you are, and you will be pleasantly surprised just how many people will love you just for that.

Sara Joanna Kadja
(edited 1 month ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending