The Student Room Group

Extra Curriculum (Personal statement)

Let's say you achieved great grades in your GCSEs and A-levels. What's something you could add to your personal statement to stand out? For example, participating in debate clubs, publishing articles or essays, etc. Can you provide more specific ideas? What companies can assist with publishing, where can you engage in debates, and where is the best place to publish your work? Examples like these would be helpful.
Hi there! 😊

I would definitely recommend tailoring your extra-curricular activities and what you mention in your personal statement to your course and link back how it is relevant, how it shows your passion, and what skills/interests you have developed during that activity. Anything like clubs, publishing articles, awards, or even books you have read/events you have attended etc. can all be relevant and useful in your personal statement.

Best of luck!

-Alfie, University of Plymouth Undergraduate Student Rep
Original post by ScoobyZazzy
Let's say you achieved great grades in your GCSEs and A-levels. What's something you could add to your personal statement to stand out? For example, participating in debate clubs, publishing articles or essays, etc. Can you provide more specific ideas? What companies can assist with publishing, where can you engage in debates, and where is the best place to publish your work? Examples like these would be helpful.

Hey!

It's really important to remember to personalise your Personal Statement to your likes and interests. So, I would definitely recommend mentioning any extra-curricular activities or volunteering you have participated in, that also link to skills needed for your course. So, for example, something that would show your time-management, or even your dedication to the local community.

Make sure to link whatever you write in your Personal Statement to the course you're applying for and the skills you currently have too, gained through extra curricular's. So long as you can make a clear link, it shows the academics who will read your Personal Statement that you have an understanding of your course and the skills required.

I hope this helps :smile:

~ Zaynab
University of Bradford

Quick Reply