The Student Room Group

parents refuse to buy safe foods

i have anorexia and have suffered with it for years to my parents knowledge. i am now in recovery and have a select few foods i feel no shame or guilt in eating. my mum went out today and i asked her to buy me three things, plain chicken, rice, and plain thin noodles. she bought none of these things. instead, she spent 6hours at the grocery stores finding all of the “health” foods, which i’ve expressed are triggering and that i hate multiple times, like protein pork and health salads and green smoothies. i hate the taste, texture, and ingredients of all of these foods and eating them would cause a relapse. there is now no food in the house i am physically or mentally able to consume. i’ve been in hysteric tears for about an hour as i will be home alone for about 4 days soon and there will be 0 consumable foods for me in the house. they are shouting at me for not wanting to eat their high calorie, unfamiliar foods and saying i’m selfish. i can’t cope and this has triggered anorexia thoughts to come back. what do i do ?
Reply 1
Original post by anonypixie
i have anorexia and have suffered with it for years to my parents knowledge. i am now in recovery and have a select few foods i feel no shame or guilt in eating. my mum went out today and i asked her to buy me three things, plain chicken, rice, and plain thin noodles. she bought none of these things. instead, she spent 6hours at the grocery stores finding all of the “health” foods, which i’ve expressed are triggering and that i hate multiple times, like protein pork and health salads and green smoothies. i hate the taste, texture, and ingredients of all of these foods and eating them would cause a relapse. there is now no food in the house i am physically or mentally able to consume. i’ve been in hysteric tears for about an hour as i will be home alone for about 4 days soon and there will be 0 consumable foods for me in the house. they are shouting at me for not wanting to eat their high calorie, unfamiliar foods and saying i’m selfish. i can’t cope and this has triggered anorexia thoughts to come back. what do i do ?

oh no : ( that's really sad. they probably just don't get it. to most people, food is food. they can't grasp the concept of 'i'm physically unable to even touch this let alone eat it.'

but your request was so basic. is there any particular reason they refused to get that stuff for you? i mean, sure i get that they want to get the 'superfoods' for you but why not the other things, too? the worst thing you can do is probably argue with them but i can see why you would. but maybe you could try to calmly explain to them that the safe foods are actually helping your recovery? you can say that you will try the other stuff too (to appease them) but that you really need the other foods to literally survive
Reply 2
Original post by Ciel.
oh no : ( that's really sad. they probably just don't get it. to most people, food is food. they can't grasp the concept of 'i'm physically unable to even touch this let alone eat it.'
but your request was so basic. is there any particular reason they refused to get that stuff for you? i mean, sure i get that they want to get the 'superfoods' for you but why not the other things, too? the worst thing you can do is probably argue with them but i can see why you would. but maybe you could try to calmly explain to them that the safe foods are actually helping your recovery? you can say that you will try the other stuff too (to appease them) but that you really need the other foods to literally survive

i think it was a test or a punishment,, i told them my reasoning for being unable to eat it and they got angry saying “you said you were recovering” etc etc..

Quick Reply

Latest