The Student Room Group

Should I do A-Level English Literature?

I'm Year 11, and have already submitted my A Level choices as Physics, Mathematics, Biology and English Literature. However, I am seriously considering changing English Literature to Chemistry because I feel it may offer a bigger variety of options and be useful if I decide to go down a STEM route.

I haven't decided what I want to do after A Levels, but I identify as a both a creative arts and science orientated person. My main motivation for choosing English Literature for A-Level is that I love writing fiction and reading in my free time, and I love creative writing and everything that entails. I've also consistently gotten good grades in English Lit for a long time and I really enjoy it.

However, I don't really see how an A-Level Qualification in English Lit could serve me in the future, since the majority of the future prospects include journalism, media, etc. and I have absolutely zero interest in those things. My A-Level choices have been a battle of dissonance between my desire to pursue creative subjects such as Art and Design and Film Studies (which I recently opted out of) and STEM subjects, which I also enjoy and have a passion for.

I just feel like Chemistry would be a more useful subject. But, I'm reluctant to say goodbye to English Literature because I enjoy it. I'm telling myself that I can always pursue my creative writing outside of school and that taking A-Level English Lit may not entail the creative freedom that I think it does- (a lesson hard learned with GCSE Art). A part of me fears that removing all humanities from my choices will leave me feeling unfulfilled and my next two years monotonous.

Does anyone who has done (or is currently doing) English Lit A-Level have any wisdom to offer? Would you say this qualification was worth it?
Reply 1
Original post by humaninnit
I'm Year 11, and have already submitted my A Level choices as Physics, Mathematics, Biology and English Literature. However, I am seriously considering changing English Literature to Chemistry because I feel it may offer a bigger variety of options and be useful if I decide to go down a STEM route.
I haven't decided what I want to do after A Levels, but I identify as a both a creative arts and science orientated person. My main motivation for choosing English Literature for A-Level is that I love writing fiction and reading in my free time, and I love creative writing and everything that entails. I've also consistently gotten good grades in English Lit for a long time and I really enjoy it.
However, I don't really see how an A-Level Qualification in English Lit could serve me in the future, since the majority of the future prospects include journalism, media, etc. and I have absolutely zero interest in those things. My A-Level choices have been a battle of dissonance between my desire to pursue creative subjects such as Art and Design and Film Studies (which I recently opted out of) and STEM subjects, which I also enjoy and have a passion for.
I just feel like Chemistry would be a more useful subject. But, I'm reluctant to say goodbye to English Literature because I enjoy it. I'm telling myself that I can always pursue my creative writing outside of school and that taking A-Level English Lit may not entail the creative freedom that I think it does- (a lesson hard learned with GCSE Art). A part of me fears that removing all humanities from my choices will leave me feeling unfulfilled and my next two years monotonous.
Does anyone who has done (or is currently doing) English Lit A-Level have any wisdom to offer? Would you say this qualification was worth it?

This is really hard because basically at A level we’re forced to choose a career path. If you’re interested in medicine you need chem and biology. If you’re not, English actually keeps more doors open to you because it is essay based and a well respected A level, so for studying law at Ini for example, you need an essay based subject and Eng lit or History considered “best” essay subjects. For a lot of engineering/STEM stuff Physics and Maths is a requirement. If you don’t want to do medicine I’d stick to your choices as there’s more flexibility for the future. And most importantly yeah you need to enjoy what you’re studying. Good luck!!
Reply 2
Thanks so much for the advice! I'm really not inclined to study medicine so I'm feeling a lot more confident with my choices in Physics, Maths and Bio. I don't really enjoy Chemistry as much as Literature, and as you said, hopefully by choosing Literature I will have greater flexibility in my opportunities post-sixth form. I've also heard that taking three sciences and maths can be really tough, so after some careful consideration (and your helpful advice) I think I'll stick with English Lit. Thanks again!
Reply 3
Thanks so much for the advice! I'm really not inclined to study medicine so I'm feeling a lot more confident with my choices in Physics, Maths and Bio. I don't really enjoy Chemistry as much as Literature, and as you said, hopefully by choosing Literature I will have greater flexibility in my opportunities post-sixth form. I've also heard that taking three sciences and maths can be really tough, so after some careful consideration (and your helpful advice) I think I'll stick with English Lit. Thanks again!

No worries. Good luck!
Reply 4

Hi, I'm in year 13 and about to do my A Level exams. My A Levels are Maths, Bio, Chem and English literature and I also identify as a pretty creative person who also enjoys STEM. I would 100% recommend you to study Eng Lit - it's a very fun subject and I think it gives you a massive advantage when applying to unis as even if you go for a STEM subject, unis love it when you already know how to write good essays. If you don't like Chemistry at GCSE level, you most definitely won't like A Level Chemistry. Look at online A Level content, it will help you to decide on the A Levels to do. Taking 4 A Levels is hard, particularly if they are all science subjects. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending