The Student Room Group

Children’s nursing books

Heya!
Just got accepted into my children’s nursing course and very excited! I know many people say wait until you start to do reading and use the library etc, however I do really want to start reading already! Any 2/3 books that student children nurses absolutely recommend to get a basis on everything ? Don’t want to waste my money :smile:
Thankyou !
Reply 1
Original post by amelia1319
Heya!
Just got accepted into my children’s nursing course and very excited! I know many people say wait until you start to do reading and use the library etc, however I do really want to start reading already! Any 2/3 books that student children nurses absolutely recommend to get a basis on everything ? Don’t want to waste my money :smile:
Thankyou !

Honest opinion from a registered nurse...

I tried to get a head start and bought a couple of books before I started my nursing degree. The A&P book I bought... was a different one to what we were taught from when I arrived at uni and trying to learn out of both was very confusing.
If you're not very confident with maths and clinical calculations, this may help: Numeracy and Clinical Calculations for Nurses, second edition : Neil Davison: Amazon.co.uk: Books
I'd also highly recommend making use of the BNF - the online version is permanently up to date, although there's no harm in having a hard copy if you want one for reference (they're updated and re-printed every 6 months and old copies are also available here British National Formulary (BNF) 71 (British National Formulary, 71): Amazon.co.uk: Joint Formulary Committee: 9780857112729: Books )

Other than that...

The basics of everything will be covered at university

Wait until you've got a reading list

Access to the most useful electronic and hard copies of books and journals will all be accesible via the university library, saving you quite a lot of £££

Original post by amelia1319
Heya!
Thankyou !

Hiya!

Student childrens nurse here! I waited until I started university in order to buy my books as they gave us a list of specific ones.

I recommend getting the BNF - British National Formularly book. I also recommend an anatomy and physiology book, there are lots online, at my university we use the Wiley Introduction to the human body 11th edition book, but it is also good to get the colouring books as they help you process the complicated anatomy and physiology parts. If possible, it is also good to get books on child development in order to understand the way a childs brain processes so that you can care for them better.

Best of luck! Here if you have any more questions!

Jess, Student DSA at ARU.
Reply 3
Original post by Emily_B
Honest opinion from a registered nurse...
I tried to get a head start and bought a couple of books before I started my nursing degree. The A&P book I bought... was a different one to what we were taught from when I arrived at uni and trying to learn out of both was very confusing.
If you're not very confident with maths and clinical calculations, this may help: Numeracy and Clinical Calculations for Nurses, second edition : Neil Davison: Amazon.co.uk: Books
I'd also highly recommend making use of the BNF - the online version is permanently up to date, although there's no harm in having a hard copy if you want one for reference (they're updated and re-printed every 6 months and old copies are also available here British National Formulary (BNF) 71 (British National Formulary, 71): Amazon.co.uk: Joint Formulary Committee: 9780857112729: Books )
Other than that...

The basics of everything will be covered at university

Wait until you've got a reading list

Access to the most useful electronic and hard copies of books and journals will all be accesible via the university library, saving you quite a lot of £££

Thankyou for the advice !

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending